MBP Ram Questions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mynewromantica, Jun 16, 2010.

1. mynewromantica macrumors regular

I am considering getting some more RAM for my new 15" MBP. I would like 8 GB but I am just not sure if it is worth it.
    I do a lot of Photoshop, Aperture, Illustrator and games. I would like to run Parallels more also, but I hate taking that much of a hit in memory (hence the upgrade).

Should I go for 8 or is 6 enough?

Also, I have heard about "trade in" programs. can some one tell me a little bit more about that?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you run PS, Aperture and Illustrator at the same time and use big resolution files with them, the more RAM the better.
    Parallels might also profit from more RAM, but that depends on your usage of VMs and how many you run simultaneously.

Games won't profit, as they can't address that much RAM, as they are in 32-bit mostly.

As you can get 4GB in a single chip anyway, why not buy an additional 4GB stick first to have 6GB and see how that works, and if it doesn't suffice, get another 4GB stick to have 8GB RAM.

3. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Exactly, I couldn't imagine ANYBODY needing more than 6gb

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But there are lots of people who do need that. Or why are there computers like the Mac Pro with a maximum capability of 32GB RAM and even more?

John Doe might not need much RAM, but if John Doe works at a lab, he might need much, much more than just 6GB.

5. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Agreed, but running the creative suite is more than taken care of with 6 gigs, and only 64-bit can take advantage of anything above 4. I really don't think this guy is a scientist in the market for a computer capable of gene mapping, I think he is exactly what he says he is: A guy that runs the adobe creative suite, for which 8 gb is nothing but overkill.

6. mynewromantica thread starter macrumors regular

7. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Nice, i'll be doing that to my 13 soon and adding a 180 gb ssd a little later.

8. brianfast macrumors regular