MBP RAM, safe to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bluefiberoptics, Dec 24, 2008.

1. bluefiberoptics macrumors regular

bluefiberoptics

I'm already encountering limits with 2 GB of RAM with my new Aluminum body Macbook Pro.

I usually buy my RAM from Corsair, but I don't think they have the correct RAM yet. I've only seen about 2 providers for the new Macbook Pros on New Egg.

Where have you guys bought your RAM and is it working correctly? I read about some people having RAM trouble.

Thanks!

2. ACiB708 macrumors regular

Crucial is the way to go. They have warranties in case the upgrade does not work, but it will.

3. Yeoman macrumors newbie

Corsair works fine

4. scoobierules macrumors member

scoobierules

I purchased crucial ram back in November and it made my machine lock up. i called and they replaced it. They said there was an issue with initial batch and the resent me new Ram and it works fine. I noticed the second batch was the same kind of ram that came with my new MBP:D

5. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

I just got my Crucial replacement today. Hopefully it'll work fine, although I have to wait until work is over to try it out.

What's the consensus? Has everyone who used to have issues with installing 4GB of RAM in their Unibody MBPs fine now with replacement RAM, or have they gotten their entire MBPs replaced?

6. Chris F macrumors regular

I am curious about this as well since I want to upgrade to 4GB. Let us know how the Crucial works for you SoybeanStasher. Assuming it all works fine (please do some multi hour runs with memtest or prime95!) can you also post the part number so I can be sure what to order?

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Cruicials so good you dont even need a part number

Just go to the site and press 'scan my system' on the left

Saved me many machine openings

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx

8. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

The answer for me at least is no, not safe even after the RAM was replaced. Locked up after an hour of use. I guess I'm doomed with 2GB unless I can convince Apple this is their fault.