Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kigru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
hi, im sure this has probably been asked a millon times. but i had to hear it myself, its there ANYTHING i can do to get my MBP 2.33 to run on 4g ram. i guess u can say taht im alil burnt. i had to have a MBP before i came out to iraq, call me crzy i just had thsi idea it was goin to be my only chance to own a mac. and if i would have waited liek 3 more weeks i would have got the Sanat rosa. so now i have been digging all over thenet to try to figure otu what i can do. i want ot upgrade, have lots of footage. so ive been putting things together and tend to get alot of lag when im editing or using adobe ps. can any one help me . thanks.

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Don't think so...

SORRY... Don't think so...

System will only "recognize" and USE 3GB so you can put 4in but not much use to it... Since you likely have a 1GB stick in there now, adding one 2GB gets you where "you can be"... ;)

ionsurfer

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
United States
I don't know your experience level, so I will just offer some obvious starting points.
1. Upgrade to Photoshop CS3 (if you aren't already there), it really is WAY faster, you mention only adobe ps, I assume you are using an older version.
2. Upgrade to Leopard (But only if you are using CS3, CS2 and below are not compatible. (Yes they may work with an UPGRADE, but not a clean install onto Leopard. See Adobe for more info.) There are many architectural changes that you won't see, (graphics subsystem, more fully 64bit, and other changes that should help.)
3. Close as many programs as possible and in Photoshop, open as few files as possible at one time.
4. If you are seeing significant lag, sometimes exiting Photoshop frequently helps.
5. Of course also set available Ram in the preferences section. (But really you shouldn't go above 70% to 75% of total ram.
Just some ideas...

kigru

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
thanks guys everything u said was very helpful. alil bumed, but ill get through it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.