MBP random shutdowns

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BiggAW, Apr 23, 2014.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

My MBP's battery has failed way ahead of it's claimed life. It's got 0% capacity at 196 charge cycles, far short of Apple's claimed 80% life at 1000 charge cycles. Now my MBP is randomly going into a deep sleep that's unrecoverable, most likely because of the bad battery. Other than an SMC reset, is there anything else I can do to keep it working, or am I going to have to go to the Apple Store and get it replaced? Is there any chance Apple will replace it, since it's didn't perform up to their own performance criteria, or are they just going to say "screw you"? I'm rather sick of this POS, I'm definitely going to build a desktop PC and maybe get a Lenovo Ultrabook for travel and couch computing next time around...

2. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

3. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Purchased Summer 2011.

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

It may be worth a trip to a Genius Bar, they may class that as unacceptable.

Barney

5. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I guess I should haul it up there (an hour away for me :( ).

6. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I went up to the Apple Store. What a waste of time. They want to charge me $130 to replace the battery that doesn't perform to the standards they claimed it would perform to. Ridiculous. I don't want to trash this machine yet, so I'm going to order one online and replace it myself, but I've absolutely had it with Apple. Between higher prices (relative to the market as a whole), a lack of innovation, more proprietary ports and dongles than ever, and now an absolutely horrible customer experience that's now cost me over $400 for their problems, there's nothing left that they have to offer. Unbelievable.