Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylep6190

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I was just flipping through the latest copy of PC Magazine, when I came across an article called "The Best Stuff" which has a list of many different top tech products. The Macbook Pro 15" is their pick for the best overall Notebook, the iMac 20-inch Aluminum is their top mainstream desktop, and they also did a 2 page review of iLife '08, and they loved it. Seems kinda funny how a magazine called PC Magazine rates a MBP and iMac as the best systems.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
the MBP got the best performance geekbench points while running vista.

Apple is the sh*t

kylep6190

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Yeah they really do know what they are doing. I wasn't too sure about switching to the Mac OS, but I just loved Apple computers. Now I know that I want a Macbook/Macbook Pro because I can run OS X as my main system, Vista when I need windows programs to test out my website or programs, or want to play some games, and I can boot up Ubuntu when I want to mess around. Since I am going to be a Computer Science major so to be the most effective I will need to know all 3 main OS's, so what better way then having a machine that can have all 3 on at once, and still run like a mynx for 4 years?

Seems kinda funny how a magazine called PC Magazine rates a MBP and iMac as the best systems.

In the old days (i.e. the 90's) I remember many PC magazines had sections for the Macs but then gradually they seemed to get rid of / cut back coverage of it. Thanks to the success of products like the iPod now it seems that PC magazines and websites, as well as retailers of course, seem to be embracing the Mac once more.

After all, and tell me if I'm wrong on this, isn't a Mac a "personal computer" anyway? The Dictionary application defines it as:

"A microcomputer designed for use by one person at a time."

Looks like a Mac IS a PC (even more so when you take into account Bootcamp for example) and PC magazines should have treated it as such rather than shunning it in the past. Still, it seems like they're making ammends now and it'd be great to see more and more people become aware of other Apple products rather than just iPods and iPhones.

Times they are a-changing and the future looks good! :D

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
I was just flipping through the latest copy of PC Magazine, when I came across an article called "The Best Stuff" which has a list of many different top tech products. The Macbook Pro 15" is their pick for the best overall Notebook, the iMac 20-inch Aluminum is their top mainstream desktop, and they also did a 2 page review of iLife '08, and they loved it. Seems kinda funny how a magazine called PC Magazine rates a MBP and iMac as the best systems.

Are you referring to the December issue of PC Mag, because I just got it today, and haven't gotten a chance to read it :D.

kylep6190

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Yup, it's the December one. It also has a review of a Gateway One, which is basically Gateway's version of a black iMac - except not quite as good, but as far as Gateway's go it is a good PC. Best looking Gateway made so far

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.