MBP reboots after changing RAM, but only with WoW ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Boneslasher, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Boneslasher macrumors newbie

Dear all,

my Apple Care (3-year) expired just a couple of months ago and so I decided to upgrade my RAM memory on my MacBook PRO, 2.67 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, mid-2009, nVIDIA 9400/9600 256MB.
    It originally shipped with 4GB (2x2) DDR3 SODIMM 1067 MHz which, as I opened, noticed being labeled "Hynix - KOREA".
    As that frequency was not anymore available at the retailer I purchased 2x4GB of Kingston DDR3 SODIMM 1333 MHz CL9.
    The installation went perfectly and the system reacted very smoothly, also recognizing them as 1333 MHz ones.

All the applications - I had at the time OS X 10.7.5 - ran perfectly and with much more swiftness as intended but ... one didn't want to collaborate: World of Warcraft. I am using my Mac for work so the functioning of that software is not vital for me, but I would like to investigate anyway.

In the first 60 mins of play the computer freezed once completely and then just WoW blocked, obliging me to a Forced Quit.

Then, two days ago, I decided, due to my now 8GB of RAM, to upgrade to Mountain Lion. The process went on perfectly and the system responded great, but now, WoW caused the system to reboot continuously. If I do not use WoW everything seems to be fine, but I would like to know if there is some connection between the following points:

1) WoW and Mountain Lion
    2) the RAM I installed and WoW on Mac
    3) the upgrade to ML on a 3-year-old machine.

Here is what I have already done to try to fix:
    1) disk and permission repair, PRAM and NVRAM reset.
    2) reinstall WoW from scratch and run it in both 32 and 64-bit mode,
    3) run WoW with no addon at all.

All with the same result.

As far as I know, Hynix RAM is the same mounted on low-end notebooks and it is not at all worthy 200€ / 4GB. But I could be wrong ...
    Is this a "special version" of that? Is there something wrong with my Kingston (which, on macupgrades.co.uk was given as fine?)
    There is also a thread here in the support that made me see that Kingston was fine also with another frequency.

I repeat myself, the machine runs perfectly ... just WoW has this annoying problem.
    I am also waiting for an answer from battle.net assistance, but if anybody of you has some tips I would be incredible thankful to all of you.

Also I am kind of skilled with the OS so I could easily reinstall everything from scratch (i.e. Leopard, then SL, then directly ML) and try again to fix it, but I would really like to know before the source of the problem before doing something so long.

Thanks to all

Sincerely

Michele Galvagno

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm running 2 x 4GB Corsair 1333MHz RAM in my mid 2009 13" MacBook pro. 8GB of 1333MHz RAM works, although it probably isn't "supported by Apple."

First thing you should try is removing the new RAM and re-seating it. Just make sure it's plugged in correctly. Run WOW for an hour and see if you still have issues, or take advantage of Apple hardware test and run the extended test, looped overnight. AHT should be on one of the discs that originally came with your computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If the problem persists and AHT doesn't report any errors, remove the new RAM and reinstall your old RAM. Test it using WOW and/or AHT again(troubleshooting can be tedious).

If you're STILL having issues, you may have another hardware problem. I don't think WOW or OSX 10.8.2 have any issues that would cause the program to crash like that.

3. Boneslasher thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice.
    I have actually run the test of TechTool PRO 6 and it says my system is perfectly working.

Also, the problem I encounter with WoW is solely with it: all the rest works perfectly, but I have to admit that the problems started with the installation of the new RAM.
    Could it be that this Kingston makes everything but WoW work perfectly?
    Because sometimes WoW just blocks, some others computer reboots on its own and says "panic report".
    I repeat myself, just WoW causes problems and, actually, it could be the video card which is a bit outdated ... But it was working before changing the Ram ... Argh!

I would still like to upgrade my RAM memory, but at Apple it is 400€ for 8 GB ... That is the actual valor of the whole machine ...

4. leman macrumors 604

I had a similar problem, in the end, I believe that the RAM was incompatible with the mainboard. No RAM test could pick a problem, but it disappeared when I switched to another RAM. Yeah, it sucks, but these things happen. Also, if WoW RAM usage patterns causes it to fail, than its entirely possible that it will also fail using your usual workflow.

P.S. Did you run memtest86 or some other memory diagnostics tool?

5. Boneslasher thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah.. As WoW started to crash just after installing the new RAM I suspected that could have been the problem.
    Now AHT is running the extended check and I'll keep you up to date about that.
    If the same problem persists I will remove and reistall the RAM to be sure that it is fixed and then maybe buy from crucial where it seems to be certified... Would it be good?

Thanks...

6. Boneslasher thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, Apple Hardware Test gave this error:

4MEM/4/40000000: 0xa9d2e718

Now, as suggested, it is running the second passage.
    Thanks for your help.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Keep in mind that AHT can appear locked up and unresponsive sometimes. I usually just let it loop overnight. A single pass won't always find issues.

Before you order new RAM, reinstall the stock stuff and make sure the problem goes away. If it does, Crucial and Corsair make good RAM.

----------

It's likely bad RAM. Try reseating it and run it again.

8. Boneslasher thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok ... I restored in place the old RAM and, even with 10.8.2, it works perfectly fine.

So, on crucial I can find the RAM which should fit but my friend (who is the reseller) says that the quality of Crucial's RAM is not even comparable to the one of Kingston ... Also, Corsair, where can I find the perfect model which works?

Thanks

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Crucial is owned by Micron, and they basically make their own RAM modules. They make very good stuff.

I'm pretty sure this is the Corsair RAM I used in my MBP. I don't have the packaging anymore so I can't verify.

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by...select-memory-upgrades/cmso8gx3m2a1333c9.html