MBP Recommendation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LadyTas, Mar 28, 2011.

1. LadyTas macrumors newbie

I am prepared to switch from a PC to a MBP. The biggest driver in the switch is numerous problems working with home video. After 5 years, 2 computers, 2 camcorders, 2 "converters", and several software programs I managed to produce one DVD...then more problems. Now I can not do simple video editing and burn DVDs.

I am not doing large projects, just small-time videos of the kids and such. I have some video on old analog tape and now have a Sony camcorder with iLink. I am assuming I will be able to download from the camcorder directly to a MBP without any sort of converter.

Anyway, which MBP would you recommend. Price is a factor, especially since my husband isn't a fan of switching. I will use the computer for video, photos, and creating a website. I am trying to decide between the 13" 2.7Ghz and the 15" 2.0 GHz. Any suggestions?

Do you recommend additional software for video and/or photo editing or is the standard software good enough quality?

Thank you,
    Karen

2. abhic macrumors member

I would personally recommend the 15" MBP 2.2GHz, which I just bought myself. Its phenomenally fast for Video and Images, especially with Apple's Pro applications like Aperture. I haven't created more than 5-6 videos in the past year, so I don't know if I would recommend anything more than iMovie.

But I would sincerely recommend considering an Apple 128 or 256 GB SSD instead of a regular hard drive. Get an external storage solution like OWC's 750GB 7200 RPM FireWire 800 drive, like I did.

Check out my detailed notes here - http://bit.ly/fp35F7

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

The 15" 2.0GHz model should be plenty fast for you. Unless you go into professional video editing or plan to keep the computer for at least 3-4 years then I would swing for a 2.2GHz model.

4. AlanFord macrumors regular

Since price is a factor, base 15 would do just fine.Even for the task you do, it will run without any problems.
    Later you can upgrade more ram or SSD if you like.

5. sbbluewater macrumors member

The base 15" should be plenty for you. The extra screen real estate is nice and unless you play a lot of games or do real heavy duty editing the 6490 GPU is fine. I am using it without any problems.

6. abhic macrumors member

Even if you do go for the base system and not the high-end one, I would recommend that you consider the Hi-Res Anti-Glare upgrade. Editing media on a 1680x1050 non-reflective screen is way better than the 1440x900 glossy one.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I agree 100%