MBP Refresh - Higher resolutions screens?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ltcol266845, May 9, 2007.

1. ltcol266845 macrumors regular

Howdy!
    I was wondering what those that followed Apple's upgrades more thought about if Apple is at all likely to do a resolution bump on their Pro line.

Probably the biggest thing holding me back is that I need a higher resolution screen than Apple currently provides. I think that the 17" needs to bump to a WUXGA screen (1920x1200) and the 15.4" to WSXGA (1680x1050), is there any chance that if Apple is changing the backlight, that we might see a resolution bump? These screens are being offered by many of Apple's competitors (ie the Dell Lattitude and Precision laptops) and if I am going to drop $2000+ on an Apple laptop, I want to have a higher resolution screen to go with it.

Thats my 2 cents (or rather, 2 grand I guess)

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

The LED backlit screens ASUS is shipping are the resolutions you mentioned. I don't even think there are lower res LED screens. So if Apple goes LED then it'll be higher res.
    But without res independence this will be a bad choice but who knows, we will know as soon as the new MBPs are announced.

4. reflex macrumors 6502a

Why exactly do you need that resolution, btw?

5. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

CAD (yes I have to use windows for AutoCAD :( ), video and photo editing. The more screen real estate the better. I do not want to go to the 17" because it is too big. There is also the I-am-paying-a-ton-of-money-and-just-because-I-may-not-utilize-it-fully-doesnt-mean-I-dont-want-it factor (whew).

6. ajhaji macrumors regular

I used to own a 15" Dell laptop with 1680x1050 resolution and I found the resolution to be far too high. Things were really small. However, I think Mac OS X is naturally suited for higher-resolution displays. By default, the fonts and icons look somewhat larger than those in Windows XP. Windows Vista takes a page from Mac OS X's book (or several, for that matter) and has increased the default font size and icon size, probably to accommodate those with larger screens and higher resolutions.

7. reflex macrumors 6502a

Figured it had to be something like that.

Though I find that no matter what resolution my screen has, I always seem to run out of it. So I tend to settle for a "readable text" resolution :)

8. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

1680x1050 with resolution independence, keeping the graphics the same size, would look awesome.

9. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Nah, not really necessary; it could work at a lower resolution. Apple could disable the higher resolutions for the new panels and introduce them with the introduction of Leopard.

10. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Not entirely true; for example the Samsung's 15.4" panel will be capable of 1440x900.

[​IMG]

source1: http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/01/samsungs-15-4-30-and-40-inch-led-backlit-lcds/
    source2: http://www.turbogadgets.com/2007/02/02/samsung-showcases-led-backlit-lcd-panels/

11. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

That would suck. Nothing like having features disabled... Plus, down scaling doesn't usually look all that great.

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

As if there aren't LCDs that are at that pixel density already...

My eyes! And who the heck would want to look at an LCD that isn't at its native resolution?

13. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Huh? I think you misunderstood my point.

14. ajhaji macrumors regular

I *really* hope Apple doesn't use these panels in their laptops. Only 45% of NTSC colour gamut? No thanks.

15. PDE macrumors 68020

It will still be a big improvement of the current displays in terms of brightness (They reall don't need to get brighter IMO), and illumination distribution. 45% of NTSC gamut and still 6-bit not great though...I guess laptop requirements stop us from getting true desktop display performance.

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Enjoy your expensive LEDs then.

Seriously, we have some 1920 x 1200 15.4" Dell laptops and I have never found anyone running them at native resolution. Even I can't with my eyes.

17. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

Which is why they would likely go with the WSXGA screens for the 15.4"... I don't know if they will or not, but I really would like it as an option. I would be willing to drop another $100 to upgrade to a better screen

18. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Geez, someone had a rough morning. I said that without resolution independence such a high res would be bad.

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Pessimism my friend.

20. ltcol266845 thread starter macrumors regular

I think this would be a great move for Apple, especially since having a 17 laptop that can view videos at native 1080 resolution would be a good selling point.

21. iBunny macrumors 65816

The Higher resolution the Better. The Smaller everything is the better as well.

22. munckee macrumors 65816

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

lol google

24. BrianMR macrumors regular

BrianMR

Clearly, its an attempt to throw off the tyranny of resolution! Rise up people, rise up against the evil resolutions.

25. jdechko macrumors 68040

Well, seeing as how Tiger already supports (somewhat) resolution independence a higher resolution screen shouldn't be that big of a deal. The Developer tools has a way of enabling it, but it's not quite complete. 10.4.10 could include a control panel for it if there were the need for it. Or it could be a minor update to 10.4.9. Who knows. Though, thinking about it, Apple has the ability to roll out software updates at the same time that it releases hardware updates.