MBP refresh is taking way too long

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBryton, Jan 27, 2010.

1. iBryton macrumors regular

At todays media event the MBP was not even mentioned. It was pretty much the new release of the iPad. The MacBook Pro released June 08, 2009. Obviously we can see that it has been over 6 months, and down to be an update.

The possible refresh I would think is February 2nd, or when the iPad's release.

Your thoughts?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The MacPro went years before it saw a refresh, the mini perpetually goes w/o any update.

Apple does what apple wants to do. They have their own schedule (which they don't communicate) and so it is what it is.

If you need a new computer now, buy one now. If you can wait, then wait.

3. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

This.

When a machine as capable as the MBP I believe the technology has been future proofed so an update is many moons away.

4. Takashi macrumors regular

If you need a computer, buy it now. If you don't need it, then be quiet and wait.

5. All Taken macrumors 6502a

The two product lines take different courses, The Mac Pro line has server grade components which refresh in the grand scheme of things at a slower rate than Macbook Pros with standard processors and run of the mill parts.

You're confusing future proofing with technology growth. The technology used in the Macbook pros simply moves at a faster rate than that in a Mac Pro based on server technology.

I feel that you talk utter rubbish in these forums and lack the skills to make informative posts. You state you have future proofed a Macbook Pro...

It is outdated and obsolete in so many ways - You future proofed your reputation to myself and many others as somebody who talks nonsense, nothing more.

6. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

You think the MBP refresh is taking too long now? You have not been around long enough. Do you know how long the update took between the last revision of the Penryn and the Unibody models? Close to eight months.

7. MoTo77 macrumors member

Exactly what I was thinking. The MBP uses souped up 4 year old technology. Apple's FLAGSHIP 17" still uses a Core2 Duo. That's BS. Dell has been using Core2 Quads in cheaper laptops and i7s in comparably priced machines.

8. SpyHunter39 macrumors newbie

SpyHunter39

How about we take guesses instead of arguing. :)

Though I was hoping they would update them before releasing the iPad today, I can see why they didn't.
    I'm gonna go with Feb 2 or Feb 9. Here's why
    -It's about the right time from the last update. (that doesn't guarantee anything, but it's an indicator)
    -They like Tuesdays. I haven't figured out why, but the majority of these kinds of updates took place on a Tuesday (looking back)
    -The rebates on Apple's authorized reseller's sites end on Jan 31, 2010. (the couple of sites i've looked at are macmall and macconnection)

That's my thoughts. I'll probably wait until June-ish before buying a MBP, if they don't update them (hopefully I don't have to wait that long)