MBP refurb in-store pickup in the States?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by copydeskcat, Nov 10, 2014.

1. copydeskcat macrumors regular

Folks - I'm off to the States in December for a month and I'm running over a lot of options to pick up a new Mac while I'm there.

I'm starting to look at rMBP refurbs, which I'd be happy to get - but how would I go about getting one for in-store pickup (I'm presuming I'd need a US-based address to make a purchase online for pickup?).

Has anyone done this or have any experience of it?

2. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

3. chabig macrumors 68040

1. Purchase it online
    2. Instead of delivery, select pickup.
    3. There is no step 3

4. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this.

My problem with 1. Is that I don't have a US address or a credit card associated with a U.S. Address. How do I get around that?

5. chabig macrumors 68040

When you tried to place the order, did it make you give a US address?

6. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't ordered yet. I just want to make sure I don't hit any pitfalls when I do.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

Go to the online store and put in the order. Do everything EXCEPT push the final submit order button. You'll find out.

8. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

also, when I try and check availability in the store near where I'll be staying, it won't recognise any zip codes. I tried the zip code of my hotel, didn't work. Tried a few others and it said they were not valid zip codes. I even tried the zip code of the actual Apple Store - that didn't work either.

9. chabig macrumors 68040

Then I would suggest an online chat with an Apple store rep.

10. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

Managed to sort it. 1-2 weeks pickup time.

Might just work....

11. Damodici macrumors member

Interested to know how you sorted this because when I looked in to it the Apple rep told me over the phone you need a US address for delivery and/or your card registered to a US address

Obviously visiting a store is easy as it's just a matter of swiping your card whilst there but I just couldn't see a way round ordering the US refurbs and have them ready for collection whilst I'm over there.

12. copydeskcat thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't gone the full hog and ordered yet, but as far as I'm aware, paying for pickup can be done with any credit card - it's only shipping orders that need a confirmed address, to prevent fraud.

What I'm planning to do is go in-store and order the refurb - I'm there for almost four weeks, so the machine should arrive before I go home. If not, I'll just cancel and get a refund.

It may be the case that I just end up buying a brand new rMBP, depending on my finances when I get there - but the refurb is still an option for me.

13. Damodici macrumors member

Yes that might work, I was planning to pre order from here and collect during my visit but I tend to only be there 7-10days max so probably not enough time to do it your way