MBP, Refurb. models choice & justification

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gandrian, Nov 13, 2014.

1. gandrian macrumors newbie

gandrian

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

What you gonna use it for??

Without knowing your use case it is impossible to tell which is the best deal for you. They are all a similar price so the 15 inch ones are a bit better deal but if your use is fairly light and portability and battery are important to you then the 13 is a better buy...

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it was me, I'd opt for the first model, the 8GB of ram is more then enough for most tasks.

OP since you didn't define your needs, its hard to say what would be best for you.

4. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

If you are using it for basic things then get the 1st option. The 16GB RAM is 210 more $. If you think the upgrade is not that expensive then get the second. Forget the 13" one. It's not worth the money.

5. gandrian thread starter macrumors newbie

gandrian

MBP, Refurb. models choice & justification

Dear all,
    I'd like to thank you all for your immediate responses/answers.

Just A Few Words:

1. I've read that on Retina MacBook Pro's the RAM and SSD are actually soldered to the logic board meaning that if the RAM or HD fail in X amount of months or if I want to upgrade it, I have to replace the entire logic board and RAM, as well. Am I correct ?
    Is this a reason to choose the most "powerful/equipped" model in terms of HD and RAM ?

2. I'd like to have dual boot (Mac O/S & Win 7) by installing BootCamp, VmWare, Parallels etc. in order to run Win applications. The 256 Gb SSD should be enough to do my job ?

Thank you
    George

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Still no idea what apps you run but

The Ram is soldered and cannot be upgraded, get what you need and get apple care for the 3 year warranty.

The SSD is replacable there just aren't any made by anybody to fit the connector currently, they are available from ebay from other macbooks but they are not cheap.

256gb may be ok depends how many big files you want to store, movies and RAW photos take up a lot of space for example. If you are running VMs (paralells) then RAM is important as well as space on SSD.

Bootcamp uses ar fair bit of SSD space as well especially if you are using a lot of windows apps so 256gb may be pretty tight.