Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EB66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Alright ive made up my mind to ditch my original thought of getting an iMac and keeping my PB G4 for getting a 15" MBP and selling the PB to make up the difference in price of the iMac.

but anyway, I was originally looking at getting a used core duo for around a grand they can be found easily but i realize they are getting kind of dated too and they run hot which i cant stand.... what are the main differences in the CD and the SR C2D? they are the same size and graphics card is relatively similar right?

if i decide to go C2D should i look for a used or refurb? can the refurbs be scratched and look used or will they be just like brand new?

thanks

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
CD: 2GB max, X1600 GPU, 802.11g WiFi
C2D (non-SR): 3GB max, X1600 GPU, 802.11n WiFi + bigger hard disk + cooler
C2D (SR): 4GB max, 8600GT GPU, 802.11n WiFi + bigger hard disk + cooler still

Refurbs are generally decent (newish) but sometimes people get scratched ones.

EB66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
alright thanks alot, I am definetly going for the C2D mainly because of the temp and 802.11n so i can be somewhat future proof

is between the x1600 and 8600 a huge deal or no?
actually scratch that i should probably use the SEARCH button

Hoo03

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
Virginia
CD: 2GB max, X1600 GPU, 802.11g WiFi
C2D (non-SR): 3GB max, X1600 GPU, 802.11n WiFi + bigger hard disk + cooler
C2D (SR): 4GB max, 8600GT GPU, 802.11n WiFi + bigger hard disk + cooler still

Refurbs are generally decent (newish) but sometimes people get scratched ones.

Also, C2D (SR) 15" models include LED screen. Lower power consumption, which translates into longer battery life.

EB66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
hmm alright looks like its going to be SR C2D 15" Macbook Pro and the last option left is.....

GLOSSY OR MATTE

itll take me days to figure this one out I wouldn't even bother trying to help because there is a million threads on this already

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
hmm alright looks like its going to be SR C2D 15" Macbook Pro and the last option left is.....

GLOSSY OR MATTE

itll take me days to figure this one out I wouldn't even bother trying to help because there is a million threads on this already

Only you can decide that. Go and look at a store because the new screens are the same as the SR refurb (at least in the 15" size).

Hoo03

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
Virginia
Yes. This should be a personal choice. I have both glossy (iMac) and matte (MBP) and I do like both.
If you decide to return it, I believe Apple charges restocking fees on refurbs so you should be sure that you want glossy or matte.

Go to your nearest Apple stores and try em out. This should be the fun part! :)

EB66

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
ya thats the problem the closest store is 4 hrs away from me haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.