Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigo424x

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
PA
Hi guys...here I go again...the Apple store has the 15" mbp refurb back in...is there a big difference between the core duo (this one is core duo w/ 512mb ram) and the core 2 duo? I'm considering the mbp b/c of the 15" screen over the 13" mb. I heard the first generation of these mbps had problems. What do you think? Thanks again, here's the link http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA600LL/A

Craig

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
Hi guys...here I go again...the Apple store has the 15" mbp refurb back in...is there a big difference between the core duo (this one is core duo w/ 512mb ram) and the core 2 duo? I'm considering the mbp b/c of the 15" screen over the 13" mb. I heard the first generation of these mbps had problems. What do you think? Thanks again, here's the link http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA600LL/A

Craig

If you're going to put 2gigs of ram in it than it sounds good, although I've heard that the core duos are kinda slow

Bow Rekk

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
UK
You could get a refurb c2d macbook pro for 150 more... You get more ram with that too. I think it is definitely worth it considering it is the same price as a new black macbook.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Have a look at this:
http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd6.html

Comparisons are between 2.16GHz CD and 2.33GHz MBPs; although one does have a faster processor, you'll get the idea and as these include CPU intensive activities (e.g. Photoshop) this is very relevant for CD MBP versus C2D MB.

Whether you're going to go for a MB or MBP, I would be inclined to go for a C2D one myself.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
You could get a refurb c2d macbook pro for 150 more... You get more ram with that too...

I second this notion. Also, keep in mind that the CD is a 32-bit processor while the C2D is 64-bit. If you plan on upgrading to Leopard, keep this in mind as Leopard is better designed to take advantage of the 64-bit goodness.

craigo424x

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
PA
Interesting, thanks everyone for your input. Currently I run a dell p4 2.8ghz ht, 512 ram, and I use macs all the time in a video editing lab which are faster than my current computer. I'm debating whether it's worth the investment if I'm going to have to upgrade ram and not take advantage of the 64bit...I wasn't even aware that c2d supports this. I suppose I'm leaning back towards the MB. Thanks

Craig

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
MBP CDs ran hot, suffered from random shutdowns, were 32 bit only, but had nice screens

MBP C2Ds ran more coolly, were 64 bit compatible, had the new draft N Airport cards, but had horrid grainy screens.

You pays your money and you takes your choices.

You might be lucky and get one without problems as some people posting here obviously have, but since these are refurbs, you have to factor in the fact that they ended up in refurb for a reason.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
I bought almost that exact computer model as a refurb from Apple several weeks ago. Mine cost $1425 but has a 2.16ghz CPU, a 100GB hard drive, and a better video card I believe. :eek:

It's definitely a good value, but yeah, you can make the case for paying a little more and getting the C2D MBP. That said, I love my MBP and can't think of anything that would make me wish I had a C2D. Once I added the second gigabyte of RAM, it was very fast, even with tons of apps open. Blows my G41.67ghz out of the water.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.