MBP Registered to somebody else.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Barney63, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I've got my MBP back from Apple this afternoon and it seems to be registered to someone else.
    They had done a clean install of Mavericks.
    When I came to do the restore from my TimeMachine backup I noticed that instead of Barney's it showed Nigel's as the backup. I know that the backup is definitely Barney's as I upgraded the HD in my TimeCapsule to 3TB and I'm the only person to ever have used it.
    I had the logic board replaced about a fortnight ago and when Apple phoned me to tell me it was ready they asked for Nigel Champion (this name is also on the work authorisation) but they have my mobile number and email address so they knew it was mine.
    I also bought it brand new and it was sealed when it arrived.
    I can only think that when they did the install they put Nigel in rather than Barney.

Where will this be stored and how do I change it

Barney

2. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

I'd think you better give Apple a call to set things right. They should have a database of what serial is registered to what user. That may be the cause of your problem.

One other thing to check is iCloud. Find my phone service should list the MBP under you if it's registered to you.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a bit confused, was this a brand new computer or your current computer that was repaired? :confused:

It sounds to me that they may have mixed up computers and given you someone else's computer that was repaired

4. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I'd 2nd the first part is this new or in for a repair,? If it's new I'd tell them that I want another one, because it sounds like either there was a mixup or some way some how you got a refurbished system.

When you pick up your computer from the apple store after having work done on it there suppose to verify the serial number on it, was that done?

5. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Barney was this at Trafford Park or Manchester Arndale?
    I'm off to the Arndale on Saturday to leave mine for work to be done.

Have you checked that the serial number is yours?

6. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I bought the laptop brand new in February.
    It went in for a LB replacement at the beginning of April.
    It went back in on Saturday where they have done a clean install of Mavericks (Wiped all my data).
    It is definitely my MacBook that I've got back (I've checked the serial numbers on the base and in the software).

What I think has happened somehow is when I first got it, the AppleCare wasn't showing up online. I bought it through my University Book Store, so I phoned the Uni BS for them to chase it up. All that I can think of is somebody at the BS called "Nigel Champion" has phoned Apple to put the AppleCare on and have given their name instead of mine. So now "Nigel Champion" is somehow registered on AppleCare. Therefore when it went in for the repairs the serial number bring up Nigel as the owner, but they take my contact details for me to get it back.
    I then think that when they have done the clean install they have looked at the paperwork and seen NC as the owner and set it up in Nigel's name. Then deleted the account after testing it but it has somehow left some remnants of the installation.
    Looking at it now I can't find anywhere that it say Nigel in the software.

At the Apple Store on both occasions that I've gone to pick it up I have seen the "work order" attached to the laptop with an elastic band, with a name crossed out (presumably NC's) and my name in thick red marker on the top.

BTW yes it is the Trafford Centre.

Barney

7. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

8. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

Then the device is not registered under your name.
    I'd suggest you contact Apple to set this right.

9. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I think I would have a conversation with Apple and get it ironed out; do you have original receipt/proof of ownership for your MBP?

10. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Yes

Barney

11. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I've been in touch with Apple Support and they are getting the Admin team to sort it out.

Barney

12. Barney63 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Barney63

They have now updated my profile and my MacBook now shows up :D

Barney

13. Quackers macrumors 6502a

Excellent :D