MBP Remote disc to XP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tom Foolery, May 23, 2008.

1. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

I have some rather large files on my mbp which i need to burn, each time i attempt to burn a disc in my mbp i get coaster after coaster, so i remembered the new feature remote disc, is it possible to burn a disc wirelessly from my mbp to my xp disc drive.

if so please let me know how or link me to the instructions

2. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Although not entirely certain, I think Remote Disc is a feature specific to MacBook Air.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Remote Disc "DVD or CD Sharing" is Leopard specific.

But anyway, no, this won't work.

For starters, I don't think Windows will even see a "shared disc".
    For seconds, if you're sharing a disc over the network, how exactly would the remote computer use that to burn another disc?

Just create an iso and burn the iso on another computer, or better yet, don't use cheap media on your Mac and/or get your Mac optical drive fixed.

4. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Duh... I am an idiot.

5. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

i would use the disc drive in my windows computer wirelessly and i would write the files wirelessly from my mac. i said nothing about copying a disc

6. rexamafex macrumors member

Its not because of your MBP that ur getting coasters. Its most likely the quality of your DVDs. Another factor is how fast you burn it at. Do x2 with a good DVD and see what happens.

7. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

point taken. but what leads me to believe it's my drive and not something else is that i have used these same dvds many times all successfully. i have also tried a number of different files on different programs, such as disk util, dvd decrypter via parallels, toast, all producing coasters. another reason is my drive has been giving me a little trouble when i've been using it in parallels lately

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like you need a new drive.

9. Tom Foolery thread starter macrumors regular

went to a genius bar and they gave me verbatim disc and it worked perfectly, so it must have been the phillips dvd-r i was using. it's weird cause they work every time on my desktop pc but fail on my mbp every time