Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
Unfortunately my MBP had a little accident. My backpack fell off my desk and landed top down where there is little protection and there is a dent by the magsafe port (still works) and the express card port is dented - enough that it may inhibit inserting a card. Everything else seems to work ok. My drive is backed up just in case. Does anyone have any experience with costs of this type of repair? Has anyone tried to use their homeowners insurance to cover this? I sure wish Apple offered accidental damage plans. Thanks in advance.

sal

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2007
damn tough break! (no pun intended)

Maybe you should contact your home owners insurance and see if they cover it. Even though apple doesn't offer an "accidental" plan, there are some credit card companies that do. Might want to look into that next time.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
That is so weird, my friend's MacBook Pro is dented in the exact same places. He doesn't have any Expresscard 34 devices though, so I can't see if it would inhibit use or not.

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
Got some estimates from Apple:

1) Mail out option - all casing replaced (top and bottom); $610 + tax; takes 3-5 days

2) In store - selective bottom casing replaced; $336 + tax; will take up to 2 weeks! (they are busy).

I do have a large scratch on the top casing (damn airport security) so it would be nice to get that fixed too but it is very steep. I also can't part without it for very long. I'll have to think about this one. Anyone know if certified Apple repair centers (there's one near me) are cheaper than Apple?

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Can't you just live with the dents the repair costs are insane

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.