MBP Repair Horror Story

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by easy-mac, Jun 28, 2010.

1. easy-mac macrumors member

I don't know if it's just bad luck or what, but this month has been a nightmare trying to get my late '07 MBP repaired. It all started at the end of May when a little red line appeared on the right side of my display. The line would come and go, but worried it may be something more major than just a random glitch I took my MBP to the Genius Bar.

When I described the problem to the Genius, he said it was probably my video card and ran a test to confirm. Sure enough, the card was going bad, so he ordered a new logic board and scheduled a repair. Well after about 10 days I get my computer back and start testing it out. At first everything seems fine, then, after about 3 days the same red line appears again. I schedule another appointment, and this time the Genius tells me it's a problem with the display, so he puts in an order for the parts since they don't have them in stock, and I go on my way waiting for a call from the Apple Store.

Well, after a couple of days of waiting things really start going awry. My Bluetooth and wifi start randomly going out, and my date and time settings start going crazy too, so again, still waiting for the display clamshell to arrive, I make another appointment. When I describe the problem to the Genius he says it's a sign that the logic board is bad and says that it needs to be replaced again. He tells me he will add the logic board to the display order and will call me when it gets in.

Well a few days go by and I drop off my computer for repair. When I pick it up everything looks good, I try it out in the store and everything is fine. But after I get home I run into a new issue! Now, every time I close the lid the computer just shuts off and has to be restarted with the power button. When the computer turns back on a progress bar comes up and then finally restores me to where I was when the computer was closed, except bluetooth and wifi have to be manually turned back on.

So last night I call 1-800-APL-CARE, and the tech runs me through the usual reset of SMC and PRAM, none of which works, and then has me do a full restore of the system. Hoping this will solve the problem I follow his directions. But after finally getting through reinstalling Snow Leopard I close the lid and the problem is still there!

I've got another Genius Bar appointment scheduled for this evening. I'm about at my wits end with this thing! In less than a month I've already had two logic boards and a display replaced and every time I take it in new problems come up! Is it possible that the Genius will see all that's been done and just give me a replacement? I'm not trying to be selfish here but I just want a computer that works! The timing is pretty horrible too, because this weekend I go on the first of 3 major business trips in the month of July, and all of them will require me to depend heavily on my MBP. What do I need to do now? The tech I spoke to last night said if the restore didn't work then they'd probably need to replace the logic board again, but I just don't think another logic board is going to help at this point. Does anybody have any advice on how to get a replacement? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

2. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Well if you really need something for business I'd either just try to get it replaced and if you can't either buy a new MBP or just buy a Macbook to use for business until you can get it sorted out. Backup all of your work to an external HD and then load it onto the new comp. At least that is what I'd do at this point :(

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

if it was me your dealing with....i would replace the machine for you.

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

From other posts on MacRumors, it sounds like Apple's got an unofficial "three major repairs and we'll replace it".

I'd call AppleCare and express that you have no confidence that replacing a part that's already been replaced with rectify the problem, that you're about to go on a business trip where you're dependent on the computer, and see what they say.

If they don't offer to replace it, I'd ask. If they say no, I'd find the email addresses floating around the forum to the executive customer service folks and shoot them off an email.

5. easy-mac thread starter macrumors member

I've actually been considering that, but only as a last resort. Any new laptop would have to come out of my personal funds since my company just bought me a new $3000 workstation and I only travel occasionally, but it just so happens the entire month of July is filled with travel to conferences and onsite meetings with clients. I was hoping this computer would hold me out at least another year before I had to buy anything new and then when I can afford it better I'd buy another MBP and keep this one as a backup. But from the recent run of bad luck I'm not so sure that plan is going to hold up. I don't think it's out of the question for Apple to offer to make things right since every time I've taken the computer in they've only made things worse. I just want to some advice on how to get them to give me a replacement instead of trying to repair it again since I have little faith that they'll actually fix it and I don't have time to wait for the repair since I'm leaving Saturday.

6. easy-mac thread starter macrumors member

The tech I spoke with referenced this, but when I asked more about it he said he couldn't tell me anything definite and that I'd have to take it to the Genius Bar again. I'm going to ask for a replacement at my appointment tonight and if they say no I'll ask for the manager. I hate coming off like I'm trying to get a handout, but why should I believe another logic board will fix anything since they already replaced it twice?

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's why you don't use a mac as a business machine. Say what you want about Dell, but $19 for a year of on-site service means my Vostro is never out of service for more than a day. Even the worst lemons I've had from Dell have been back in service after just 2 days.

8. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well then, that's why you don't buy a Dell for business because you'll find yourself needing it to be repaired often, henceforth needing the on-site service more often than expected. :p

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Small business : Debatable

Medium-Large Business : Absolutely false assertion.

Self-Servicing Account Program

10. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I don't think it sounds like you're asking for a handout. What could be 3 logic boards in a row is ridiculous.

My previous refurb MBP was refunded due to what would have been a 3rd repair in a row and was looking like a 2nd Logic board. had been without it 38 days and wasn't prepared to accept another repair. I know how it feels to lose all faith in a company's ability to fix an item.

Stick to your guns, who knows if you won't get exactly the same issue if they replace the logic board again, with your business trips coming up you'd be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.

11. van2010rulz macrumors regular

I have to agree with Runebinder. Your not asking for a handout. You paid a ridiculous amount of money for that MBP. Not that im saying it wasn't a good investment, but $1000+ is a hell of a lot to pay for a laptop. You could be replacing that Logic Board every other day. Go ask it doesn't hurt. Yes if you look like some guy who is asking for a handout. Who cares!? Right now if Apple is the company i think it is then they should really give you a replacement.

Good Luck!
    -Van2010rulz

12. easy-mac thread starter macrumors member

Well I just got back from the Genius Bar and the problem appears to be solved for now. After two hours of banging our heads against the wall, a complete reinstall of the operating system (which still didn't work BTW), and finally the Genius saying he would "take care of me, if you know what I mean", he tried the famous "one more thing", and guess what, it actually worked. Apparently the power system preferences had become corrupted somehow and the problem wasn't solved with a reinstall. Something doesn't seem right to me about that, but he deleted the plist file and the sleep problem stopped, for now at least. I feel like I'm sitting on a ticking time bomb ready to blow at any minute. On one hand I'm glad that we found the source of the problem, but the mystery remains as to what caused it in the first place and what's to stop it from coming back? He told me to come back in if anything else goes wrong and he'd "take care of me in a good way", but I can't help but worry that when something does go wrong it's going to be at the worst possible time. Oh well, only time will tell, but if something does go wrong here's hoping it happens before Saturday!

13. easy-mac thread starter macrumors member

Well it looks like I spoke too soon. It randomly started having the issue again just now. I ran disk utility and guess what, the hard drive is now corrupt! This is absolutely insane! I've already set up an appointment for tomorrow and this time I'm demanding a replacement! There is no excuse for this! I'm going to call in the morning and make sure I get to talk to the same Genius, because I'm not going through another 2 hour nightmare only to be told it's just a stupid plist!

14. aethelbert macrumors 601

Have you ever actually used it? Ordering parts takes forever. Their support for large-scale businesses, especially those outside of the United States, is awful in comparison to the competition.

15. Collider macrumors regular

Have you considered emailing your local apple store's manager, explaining your situation, instead of just getting repeated Genius appointments?

I had repair issues with my last MBP, and three Genius bar appointments / harddrive replacements didn't fix the problem; the second of these appointments, the Genius told me that, because the fault seemed to be with the harddrives (which I doubted, and said so at the time), it wouldn't be viable for them to offer a replacement, at all, until the cost of the replacement MBP outweighed the cost of continually replacing the drive.

In the end, I sent an email to the store, explaining the situation and pointing out that I really couldn't afford to come in for yet another appointment and see exactly the same thing repeated again and again... and they sorted me out with a replacement via email.

16. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

OP

Call Apple Customer Relations and explain the situation. I believe they have a policy whereby if your machine goes bust 3 times in a no of months, they replace it with a new one.

17. easy-mac thread starter macrumors member

I just wanted to give an update. It looks like my horror story has come to an end, but not without a few more frustrations! When I arrived at the Apple Store for my Genius Bar appointment last night I find out that the Genius I worked with the night before had left for the day, so they place me with the 5th different Genius I've worked with in this ordeal. Let's just say things didn't go smoothly at first.

As I explained everything that's happened in the last month he just stands there looking at his screen, barely acknowledging what I'm saying. After I'm done he pulls up the repair history and says that he only sees my logic board being replaced once! I then explain to him every detail about how the wifi, and bluetooth, and time and date settings were all messed up and he tells me they wouldn't have replaced my logic board for that! Basically he's sitting there calling me a liar and at this point I'm livid! I pull out my workorders to show him the second logic board repair order and he says "Oh they just ordered that, since it wasn't the problem maybe they didn't fix it!"

At this point I'm so mad I'm about to explode, but luckily I remembered the Genius' name who ordered the second logic board repair, so he went in the back to verify with him that I'm not just making all this stuff up. Well finally he comes back out speaking a very different tune. He says he verified everything I said and (still a little arrogantly) tells me that the other Genius said he wanted to replace the computer! So then he pulls up my system information and after some talk about how much faster the bus speed will be and whatnot we finally agree on the 15" 2.66GHz MBP with 4GB of RAM, 500GB 7200RPM HD, and they even threw in a high resolution display for my troubles! :) Unfortunately they have to order this machine and it may take a few days, but I'm really hoping it gets here by Saturday!

This was far from being the most pleasant experience, but I couldn't be more satisfied with the results! (Well, except for the fact I'm losing my ExpressCard slot.) In the end Apple made things right and that's what matters. Now I just wish the Genius Bar would get its act together because it seems like every time I go there for anything more than an iPhone problem they are just completely lost. I'm just glad to see that Apple still wants to do right by their customers. AppleCare will be my first purchase for my new computer, it's been well worth the investment for me!

18. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Great to hear that you are getting a replacement. Enjoy your new machine and like you said, get the applecare :).

V

19. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Glad to hear you got a nice replacement, shame you had to deal with an idiot like that though. I work in tech support and unfortunately it does tend to attract some conceited, arrogant jerks with a superiority complex and the people skills of an aubergine (myself not included of course ;) ).

20. MacVibe macrumors regular

And then, Apple gives those people the title of "genius" as if it was ever actually in doubt! :)

OP, glad you got a replacement, it sounds like it was well deserved.

21. apple.gr macrumors regular

22. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

They may have drug you through a lot of repairs, but they usually end up doing the right thing from what I've seen.

23. cryer macrumors regular