MBP repaired, but still problematic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stulaw, Nov 29, 2008.

1. stulaw macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a MBP I bought in July '07, and it worked great until recently. Using it one day under normal circumstances, the screen went all fuzzy and the colors were messed up. I turned it off to reboot it, but it never make it passed the gray screen with the spinner and the apple logo. The spinner would stop, then a darker gray bar would come down from the top of the screen, then eventually it would tell me to reboot it.

I took it in to the Apple Store, and the geniuses couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. I was suggesting it was the well documented problem of the 8600GT graphics card being screwed up, but an isolated video test apparently showed that wasn't the problem. They gave up and sent it away for a flat repair fee of $310 to fix anything and everything.

They replace the motherboard, and repair the graphics card, according to my invoice. I get it back today, it worked fine in the Apple Store, I bring it home, and during the first few minutes it crashes twice. It then works fine for an hour or two, but then won't start up just like the old problem a little bit later after a restart. I leave it off for an hour or two then come back and it starts up fine (I'm typing this on it).

I'm not sure what could still be wrong with it, its a brand new motherboard, hard drive is fine (I was always able to boot the hard drive in target mode), and the graphics card has been repaired (although why did it have to be repaired if "that's not the problem"?).

I have a 90 day warranty period on the computer now because of the repair so I want to take advantage of that to get a stable running computer, as I want to keep this thing for another few years. I can't be sure whether this is going to be a recurring problem or if I should worry about it or what. I would take it back to the Apple Store but it probably would behave when they tested it knowing my luck.

Any suggestions?

Also, has anybody heard of somebody getting one of the new MBP as a replacement for an older aluminum one? That would be amazing.

Thanks in advance!

Stuart

P.S. Only upside is that they gave me a new battery with the repair. It was at 19% capacity before!

2. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

i've had my laptop replaced twice with newer models due to issues with the repair facilities.

it's unfortunate it came to that as i'd rather they have just fixed things the right way the first time, but they know when they screw up, and they'd rather you're happy.

so give apple a call, tell them the machine is worse off than before, which it sounds like it is, and ask for customer retention, give them your situation, and let us know what they can do for you.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You need to get on the phone with apple service and (politely) give them an earful.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I had a similar experience with my old PB G4. It went in for a known problem and I asked how many times they would attempt to repair. Finally, after about a week I was told they would replace it. It was replaced by the newly released MBP and I chalk it up to good timing. They will probably try to repair it one more time and then go from there.

5. stulaw thread starter macrumors newbie