MBP Replacement Keys?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pharos, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Pharos macrumors member

I was wondering, do you guys know of any place that sells replacement keyboard keys? Just the keycaps. There are some places selling them, but it costs $8 PER KEY because it includes the scissor hinge mechanism, which I don't really need.

There is nothing wrong with the keyboard, but I'm extremely anal about the cosmetic appearance of my late 09 Macbook Pro 13", and I do wish to sell it in a year or two and I want it to be in pristine condition. In order not to wear out the keys, I'm using the Moshi Clearguard keyboard cover and I dont like it very much :(

Do you think I'll be able to purchase these keycaps in the future? I know it's possible to buy keycaps for the older non-unibody MBP's and Macbooks :(

Thanks.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I doubt the key wear will affect the price in a few years or months.

3. Pharos thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, probably not... But I'd hate to see the keys wearing out, for me it ruins the entire look of the notebook. If I had the option of replacing the keycaps, I would happily ditch the keyboard protector and shamelessly use it in its naked form :D

4. Pharos thread starter macrumors member

That price is for EACH key and includes the mechanism as well, but thanks. :(

Ideally what I'd want is some 3rd party making the keys and selling them. I mean, how hard is it to create a piece of molded plastic? But I guess there is not enough demand for companies to start selling these. Oh well, I'll keep using the Moshi Clearguard until this OCD of mine goes away, since I am terrified of seeing those oily patches on the keyboard. I'm a poor college student and only God knows how long it took me to save enough money to buy this puppy :p

5. Resist macrumors 68030

The keys better not wear out fast in my new 13" Macbook Pro! I already went through this with a Compaq computer that was barely a month old. But then again it was a $300 laptop.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

I am so pissed off right now! When I look at the keyboard of my week old 13" Macbook Pro, I see the space key has a shiny wear mark on the right side of it. It won't wipe off, so clearly it is surface key wear from my right thumb. I am totally upset that Apple seems to be using the same cheap key pads as less expensive laptops do! :mad:

Maybe I should have used a keypad cover, but I hate those things. Besides, quality keyboards shouldn't need protection from fingers.

7. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

You can always get a keyboard cover. It'll prevent wear.

8. canucksfan88 macrumors 6502a

canucksfan88

just go to the apple store and say it fell out and you lost it.

they have a bunch of spare keys and its free. (i asked them last time for some random reason)

9. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

Try washing your hands before you use your latptop.

10. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If it's within a week, it is almost certainly oil from your skin.

11. Resist macrumors 68030

That is what I thought at first, but the key will not clean up and seems more like wear. I really hope it is oil but when viewing the key on an angle, it's shiny no matter how much I clean it.

Anyone have a suggestion for what to clean the keys with, besides a damp rag?