Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I'm gonna make this short. I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13in. (non retina) and my LCD has a white blotch mark on the screen. It is most noticeable on darker screens. I have tried everything I can do to fix it outside of replacing the screen. So now I am going to go down that route. Before I purchase a replacement screen I was wondering if there are any places that either give away damaged Macs or that sell them very cheap for parts. I found a display on Powerbook Medic but I am not sure if it is the right one for my Mac since the 2012 differs from the 2011 with the lvds cable connector. Here is the link. Let me know what y'all think.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/133-MacBook-Unibody-Display-LCD-Screen-NEW-p-17281.html

Thanks.

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
I'm gonna make this short. I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13in. (non retina) and my LCD has a white blotch mark on the screen. It is most noticeable on darker screens. I have tried everything I can do to fix it outside of replacing the screen. So now I am going to go down that route. Before I purchase a replacement screen I was wondering if there are any places that either give away damaged Macs or that sell them very cheap for parts. I found a display on Powerbook Medic but I am not sure if it is the right one for my Mac since the 2012 differs from the 2011 with the lvds cable connector. Here is the link. Let me know what y'all think.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/133-MacBook-Unibody-Display-LCD-Screen-NEW-p-17281.html

Thanks.

I have seen cheap MBPs (< $50) basically given away because they were non-functional for parts on Craigslist so it does happen. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. There are also some repair shops that may receive non-functional units which they take for parts. I've been in one of these places with Apple gear in stacks on the floor and on tables and parts in bins.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I have seen cheap MBPs (< $50) basically given away because they were non-functional for parts on Craigslist so it does happen. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. There are also some repair shops that may receive non-functional units which they take for parts. I've been in one of these places with Apple gear in stacks on the floor and on tables and parts in bins.
Right. Yeah I’ve been keeping my eyes open looking out for one but I haven’t found one yet. Do you know if the one in that link would work for my model?

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Right. Yeah I’ve been keeping my eyes open looking out for one but I haven’t found one yet. Do you know if the one in that link would work for my model?

No I don't. I don't have a 2012 in 13 inches. I do have a dead 2011 in 17 inches and would consider giving it away for parts. There may be others here with collections of old equipment that may give parts or devices away for free or shipping costs.

We have ten MacBook Pros in our household, five of which are in active use by two people. One of them is dead (the 2011), one has a dead screen (2008 17), and two haven't been turned on in at least five years (2007 15s). I'm generally too lazy to sell stuff and sometimes give things away if someone can pick them up.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
No I don't. I don't have a 2012 in 13 inches. I do have a dead 2011 in 17 inches and would consider giving it away for parts. There may be others here with collections of old equipment that may give parts or devices away for free or shipping costs.

We have ten MacBook Pros in our household, five of which are in active use by two people. One of them is dead (the 2011), one has a dead screen (2008 17), and two haven't been turned on in at least five years (2007 15s). I'm generally too lazy to sell stuff and sometimes give things away if someone can pick them up.
Okay. Unfortunately I couldn’t use a 17 inch or 2011 display. Well, if you find anyone who wants to get rid of a 2012 MacBook Pro with a working 13in. screen direct them this way.

Thanks for the advice!

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Okay. Unfortunately I couldn’t use a 17 inch or 2011 display. Well, if you find anyone who wants to get rid of a 2012 MacBook Pro with a working 13in. screen direct them this way.

Thanks for the advice!

I wonder if there's a for sale or wanted board here. That would be a good place to post what you're looking for or for others to post what they have that they no longer want.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
I wonder if there's a for sale or wanted board here. That would be a good place to post what you're looking for or for others to post what they have that they no longer want.
Yeah that would be great, but I don’t know if there is a place to do it. I have never seen a place for it, but maybe I haven’t looked in the right spots. I’m hoping that someone will see this and if they have one to give away or sell that they will comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.