MBP Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Loumeer, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Loumeer macrumors newbie

Ok so my laptop has died 3 times in the past 7 or so months and I finally got a replacement for my 2.4Ghz MBP (Top of the line when I bought it).

Now my issue is, I wanted Apple to replace my top of the line model with a model of the same cost when I bought it (the current top of the line 15'').

They are insisting that they want to replace it with the model under the top of the line because it is closer to my current specs. Is this something I should just accept or is this something I should try and fight because I paid $2500 for a laptop and I want my laptop replaced with another $2500 laptop.

--Ami

2. tip macrumors 6502

tip

I dunno. If I were in your place, I'd be happy with it.

I've had bad experiences with AppleCare personally, so it amazes me when I read about folks who have gotten actual replacements. Be happy about it.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

i'd argue on a price for price replacement, although even the current 2.4Ghz will give you a speed boost.

4. bestthereis27 macrumors member

I honestly dont think they will replace it with a newer top of the line model. Even though it would be cool if they gave you the top of the line model. You paid $xxxx.xx amount for a model with a certain speed, they should replace it with a model of the similar speed. Just because you bought top of the line then doesn't mean you should get top of the line now. Like if my top of the line LCD that is a few months old was only 720p should break and i get it replaced by the manufacturer, should they give me top of the line 1080p LCD. If manufacturers did that everyone would be finding ways to return it for the latest and greatest. My 2 cents.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

Of course you should insist on getting the top of the line model. That's what you paid for and that's what you haven't been able to use all this time.

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

Fight it! The more calls to apple you make and the more claims you file the more they are willing to break down. Keep breaking them down. Ask to talk to higher authority. you paid for the best you should get the best

7. PDE macrumors 68020

Also remember that the current cheap version only has 3mb level2 cache, while your old one had 4mb - that could be a good point to argue. I think it's a matter of principle. You've suffered for months with an unreliable computer that you paid top dollar for - the very least they can do is give you the top of the line version that exists today for all the hassle THEY have put you through. They're not doing you a favor by replacing it, they're doing what they are supposed to do given that they never provided you with the product you paid for.

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Specs don't matter. If it cost $2499 before, then it should be replaced with a current model that costs $2499. I'd fight this all the way.

9. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I think if you paid for that computer so many months ago, you should get that same computer. No matter if it was top of the line. But then your faced with the fact that they might not make that model anymore, so you should get what your computer is worth on the next model up.

10. cliff clavin macrumors newbie

I would take it...what if they find you a refurb replacement that is exactly your specs? Take the new one....

11. iTattoo macrumors regular

iTattoo

I concur. ALL the specs should be equal to or greater than your original machine, the processor is just one component of a complex machine.