MBP Reset Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by I.Algar, Jul 30, 2013.

1. I.Algar macrumors newbie

Hey there, I recently got a MBP handed down from my dad and i am wanting to reset it to get rid of all his settings and information associated with it (users etc). How do i do this? He has upgraded its operating system to Mountain Lion so i don't want to lose that in the reset. How do i go about doing this?

Also should i deauthorize the computer with iTunes or will that not matter.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You'll want to deauthorize the music, that does not occur at all, and if its under his account you might as well clear that off.

You can reformat the drive and reinstall mountain lion. That will bring it to factory settings.

Reboot the computer, and hold the command key and the R key down. You'll enter into the recovery partition at that point. From there you can select the Disk Utility to reformat the drive and then reinstall the OS.

I'd highly suggest you backup the computer, just in case, as that will delete everything.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can do what maflynn suggested and that will work, but it will be a 4.7GB DL of the OS. Nothing wrong with that if you are okay with it.

If you want to avoid that, you can just log in to dad's account and make a new admin account for yourself in the Users & Groups pane of System Preferences. Then logout of dad's account and login to yours. Then go back to Users & Groups and delete dad's account.

You would still want to deauthorize iTunes before doing this.

If you were selling the machine, I would not suggest this, but since it is all in the family, this might be easier for you.