mbp restarting damage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ytech, Dec 17, 2015.

1. ytech macrumors member

ytech

Hey,
    I heard that restarting your mac multiple times can cause it damage, is it true?. and what happen in case I do need to restart it a few time (for updating, or software installation). i keep my mac in "sleep" when I don't use it... but today i had to restart it a few times (2-3) because of an update....

Thanks

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No.

Why would restarting a computer cause any damage?

3. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

If it was only restarted 2-3 times, you'll be fine.

4 times? Don't do it. 4 is an unlucky number. It's the death number in Chinese and is what Apple has secretly coded into OS X that causes their computers to self destruct.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Whoever told you that shouldn't be giving any advice about computers, that person clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Too much computer sleep will likely cause as much damage to your Mac as a few restarts. Keep in mind that a sleeping Mac will be more difficult to wake up as you let it sleep longer. Always wake it precisely every 2 hours, 30 minutes, with a tolerance of no greater than 5 seconds. Longer will definitely cause a buildup of unsightly bruises, as you have to tap the "any" key far beyond design limits.
    If I were limited, somehow, to 2 or 3 restarts, I would be in serious trouble within a few minutes of taking it out of the box the first time...

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

No, I have Mac`s that have been restarted hundreds if not thousands of times and they are all fine. Forget it and enjoy your Mac as intended.

Q-6

7. ytech thread starter macrumors member

ytech

Thanks for every one who helped, and also for those who tried to be funny :p

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, you're good, as mentioned. I've got a 2009 Mac Mini and a 2010 MBP, both of which have been restarted hundreds of times. So far those computers are still going strong.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Maybe who gave you the advice was referring to the typical spin up of HDDs during boot ...... What kind of MacBook Pro are you using?