MBP Retina 15" (mid 2012) Logic Board?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sstevens, Dec 19, 2014.

1. sstevens macrumors member

ive heard that this year of MBP Retina has an issue with the soldering connections on the motherboard. I have an appt this evening at Genius Bar to have it looked at. I put Apple care on it when I bought it.

My problem is that for the past month or so my laptop just shuts off whenever it wants. Sometimes I can't even get it back on by pressing or holding down the power button. It'll restart and tell me it encountered a problem and quit unexpectedly but I'm never running anything strenuous. Usually just Chrome. My friend and his father unfortunately encountered the same issue and they got their logic board replaced for free. Can anyone confirm this or link me to some literature on this problem so I know what I'm talking about during my appointment? My laptop is basically a brick. I also noticed some display burn in in the lower left corner but it's very minor. Only visible on black background and it has a yellow hue to it.

Thanks

2. sstevens thread starter macrumors member

So, I took my Retina to the Genius Bar and sure enough after some diagnostics, my logic board is in terrible condition. Now, I KNOW/am 99.999% sure I purchased Apple Care. The technician said it isn't registered to my laptop and there show no signs of a receipt for it under my apple ID (I think I may have used/reimbursed my father for it considering it was a gift for college graduation so maybe it's on the credit card statement).

My dilemma is this, it will cost $310 with labor to repair it which isn't too bad but if I do have Apple Care then it is valid until July of this year and will cover the cost. Also, this is a KNOWN issue with the 1st gen 2012 Retina's. I have a friend who had the same issue with his brother and fathers first Retina. Why won't Apple honor their faulty soldering issue on the boards and take care of me? Clearly I'm a valued customer since I have over $11k invested into Apple products.

Does anyone know a way to get this fixed without having proof of Apple Care and without paying the $$$?

3. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Well if you have a receipt to prove it or possible a note on your bank account activity then you might be able to convince them. But if it's not in their system and you personally don't have anything to prove it, then you're simply going to have to pay that out of pocket.

I had the motherboard fail on a machine a year older than that and was today charged 875 euros (about $1015 with today's exchange ratios) for a complete motherboard replacement. Thankfully my insurance company picked up the tab and I only had to pay a 100 euro deductible.