MBP Retina 2012 Battery Replacement - Upsell storage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sgadher, Jul 27, 2017.

1. sgadher macrumors member

Hi All,

I was one of the lucky few to receive a 2017 tbMBP as part of the battery constraint issue on the MBP 2012. My original MBP was a 2.6ghz, 16gb ram, 512gb ssd, replaced with a 2.8ghz, 16gb ram and 512gb ssd.

On my previous MBP I used a jetdrive lite to increase the storage by an additional 256gb. With the new TB model that's obviously not an option.

Ideally I would like to increase the built in storage by going back to Apple and asking for the possibility of upselling to a 1tb model. I did ask at the time I was given the replacement but the advisor simply said this was what was ordered.

I have a repair app with the same store on Friday, this will be the 15th day since receipt of my replacement.
    I take it it will be at the manager's discretion as to whether I can swap it out. I did call Applecare Support who advised that since the repair was undertaken at the store, its best I contact them.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? And been successful in a swap-out? Should I even bother and just be grateful for the replacement?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS external hard drives, thumb drives etc are not an option due to my work commitments.

Thanks

2. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

I personally wouldn't. You got a great laptop - apple went above and beyond what anyone would expect. Now you want to return that machine and try to get a better one ? What happens to the machine you want to return ? It'll go back and be refurbished and resold at a lower price thereby costing Apple even more.

If it was me I would just use a USB-C SSD.

3. sgadher thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Psynnott, just to emphasis Im not trying to game the system, simply that I've read numerous other posts whereby other users who have had their devices replaced have had their particular specs upgraded as well, be it processor, ram or storage (presumably because a like-for-like) and wish to know whether they paid extra for it (which Im happy to do) or whether it was offered without prompt by Apple.

1st world problems I know!

4. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

Yes, but my point is, it's too late now. You have the machine.
    The amount of hassle now for everyone involved is madness.
    If you wanted to ask for an upgrade it should have been done at the time the Admin called you to confirm the specs of the machine.

5. sgadher thread starter macrumors member

thats a valid point I know, kicking myself for not doing it sooner!

6. kermitxc macrumors newbie

Do it, it's definitely not too late ... AAPL will do just fine, remember ... they don't loose money by selling refurbished, they just profit slightly less and keep the refurb / service employees happy

7. sgadher thread starter macrumors member

hope so, going in for appointment today, wish me luck!

8. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

9. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

It can't hurt to ask. Go for it. In that Mega thread, there are several people that paid up for a better config that was offered but yes at the time of swap. I believe the example I read in that thread was a real time replacement. Apple store took one off the shelf and offered it up (vs. ordering) and he paid a few bucks more for a bigger SDD.

10. sgadher thread starter macrumors member

thanks mate for the support, much appreciated. Unfortunately it was to no avail, reason being the "programme" for replacement swapouts ended on Wednesday (UK) and there was no way on their systems to perform an upsell as it wasnt technically a repair and the repair programme had officially finished.

never mind, im grateful for the swapout in the 1st place to a 2017tb mbp

thanks