MBP Retina 2015 temps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RuivoM, Sep 2, 2016.

1. RuivoM macrumors member

Hello, I've been using my MBP Retina for a while with no issues at all, but since I installed a temp monitor I noticed that if for example I play a game or do something more 'intensive' the temperature hits the 100+ degrees and sometimes the 105 degrees (celcius) which should be the max for these i5 cpus. As for the fan it seems ok, silent on idle and audible when playing something or doing something intensive. I just don't get it why even with the fan on the temperatures are playing around the 90-100 degrees which seems high to me.

edit: temps on idle now (summer where I am) are around 50-60 degrees with the fan between 0 rpm and 1300 rpm (I believe it's the lowest speed) and not audible.

Is this normal? Thank you.

2. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

If it exceeds safe temps your MacBook will throttle and if need be shut down.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

It'll manage its own temps and throttle as needed. You don't need to worry about it.

4. RuivoM thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for both responses. The thing here that I'm wiling to know, is if it's normal for this machine to be around 90-100 degrees everytime it is doing something more intensive. I like to play a few games and it works good (no frame drops or whatsoever) but I don't feel confortable with it going around max temps. The other thing I noticed is that if it's around 90 degrees and fan running let's say by 3000 rpm and I manually set it to 6000 rpm for example, the temperatures doesn't go below (like if the speed was the same). It's a mbp retina and doing normal stuff (coding, browsing etc) most of the times keep the fan at 0 or lowest speed, but as soon as I start something intensive it goes up pretty fast. It's either 8 or 80. Thank you!

5. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

That's perfectly normal for a rMBP under load.