MBP retina Dock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wthomas86, Jan 28, 2013.

1. wthomas86 macrumors member

I just came by this Henge Dock for the MBP Retina & it looks like the perfect dock for me. Looks high quality & has many ports. Its gonna be a while (Q3) before its released.

Thoughts?

http://hengedocks.com/order_horizontal_dock.php

2. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Hmm...$349 for the Thunderbolt version and seems to take up an unnecessary amount of desk space. Interesting, but pass for me.

3. wthomas86 thread starter macrumors member

I dont see the desk space as an issue because of the functionality it has, but I do agree that the price of the thunderbolt version is steep. I hope that the price changes by the time it is released.

4. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Well, I guess if you weren't using a Thunderbolt Display I could see it being more useful, but I will be in my new setup so anything I have that's USB/etc. would already be "docked" to the monitor. All I'd need is Power and TB coming to my MBP. But again, I guess it depends on your need. If I were to have something like this, I'd prefer it to lose the "wings" on the side.

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Available Q3? Why haven't they just done a normal henge dock for this yet? You can take everything out of the left-hand side that matters, and the SD card is still accessible out of the top.

I'm waiting for a simple dock that exposes TB, ethernet, three or four USB ports, and the audio. These are the connections that you need on a permanent basis for a desktop computer.

6. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

Nice little dock, but Q3? Way too early to announce if people can't actual buy it for almost a year.

I'd rather pay extra and have a new Thunderbolt Display as my dock.:D

7. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

These are BEAUTIFUL!

I always hated those vertical docks, you arent able to use your laptop as a second screen.

350$ does seems steep, it thunderbolt was included in the 250$ it would be a no brainier for me. Either way they look awesome.

Any idea you plug in power for your macbook though? If they have built in power without the need of you needing your apple charger that would blow me away. That way your charger always stays in your bag. But I have a feeling the power connector at the back is just to power the dock?

8. wthomas86 thread starter macrumors member

What really impressed me is the fact that I can put a kensington lock on this and leave it at my desk at work. Then, you would need to put in some kind of password to undock your mac when a kensington lock is on.

9. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I agree that is another plus side. I have always looked/wanted a dock like this. I dont have a desktop so every time I come home I have to fish out my hdmi, ethernet, Harddrive USB, power etc out of the back of my table and plug each of them in. With this I could have it all plugged in at all times, come home, place laptop into dock and voila.

It is to bad convenience cost so much though ;P

10. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

This would be dope if it was more of a hub than a dock.

11. defektion macrumors regular

3 External Displays? Im wondering how they are able to pull it off.

12. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Why not?

The retina Macbooks by them selves can power 3 external displays? 2 from the thunderbolt and 1 from the HDMI

13. Ploki macrumors 68000

One over HDMI and two over TB? Or just daisychain 3 over one TB port?

14. robvas macrumors 68020

My guess would be they are daisychained, too.

But this vaporware until it comes out...

15. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

Well it is the first dock to have 3 thunderbolt ports...

16. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Those arent Thunderbolt ports, they are mini-display ports ;)

17. defektion macrumors regular

If they did in fact use all the outputs. The HDMI port is limited to only a 1080P output, which is limited by softare. So If they can drive all 3 displays at 2560 x 1440 then I'm thinking it's a daisy chained thunderbolt.

18. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Fair enough, that makes sense. It would also explain how they plan on adding a thunderbolt to that as well.

I hope they actually come out with this.