MBP Retina image retention

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by artschool, Feb 15, 2013.

1. artschool macrumors member

just thought i would post about my experience with this issue. bought my mbp last september and noticed IR last month. the laptop has a LG screen.

so after some emails and letters to apple i just got off the telephone with a customer services rep who said that he was as senior as it gets and not to bother calling anymore.

apple will not be replacing the laptop.

i am actually really shocked as i thought apple stood by their products.

2. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Did you take it to an Apple store and have it tested by a genius?

3. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Why would they replace a 5 month old laptop?

If you can demonstrate at an Apple store that it's bad, they'll replace the screen, but you can't expect them to just give you a new laptop.

I think it's unreasonable to expect a replacement machine that you've used for 5 months.

4. artschool thread starter macrumors member

yes, they said it was faulty.

5. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I skipped over that, your right of course. The OP should not expect a new laptop, but should be seeking a new screen.

----------

And they refused to repair it? or did you tell them you wanted a new laptop vs a new screen?

6. artschool thread starter macrumors member

they said that they didn't have the parts and i would have to wait, but didn't offer a replacement.

so i got on the phone with apple directly.

i think they should recall the LG screens.

edit: they did say i could post it in for a repair.

7. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

So you are just not happy with their offer to fix it. I'm sorry about that, but at least they are willing to repair it.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

So you wanted them to just drop everything right there and repair it on the spot for you?

Not going to happen. It takes 2-3 days to get the display in stock, and probably 2-3 days to fit it, depending on how busy the store is. They cannot keep every part of every laptop in stock. It would be impractical.

You can send it off, which will have around a 7 day turnaround. What more do you want them to do?

9. zosobao5150 macrumors member

Your not going to like my thoughts, but it seems like Apple is being reasonable. They offered to repair it, said they needed to get the parts. If I take my new car back to the dealer for a problem, they don't replace the car for me.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are you mad that they're not replacing the laptop or will not repair your laptop.

They don't replace such an old laptop (only within the first month) but they will repair it which is completely reasonable and does show that they're standing by their product

11. artschool thread starter macrumors member

i didn't ask to be sold a defective screen, did i?

i suppose i expected a good product. i have been buying macs since the colour classic.

12. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Who asks to be sold anything defective? ***** happens. They are standing behind their product and offering to repair it. Bottom line.

13. artschool thread starter macrumors member

i am not mad at anyone, i just expected them to sort it out without me having to be inconvenienced, which seems reasonable.

14. leman macrumors 604

Your computer has a defect and the company offered you a free repair with a free mail-in via priority post. To expect anything more is completely unreasonable.

P.S. I am not defending Apple and their LG screen fiasco (my LG screen also seems to start developing noticeable IR after 5 month of use).

15. Brian Y macrumors 68040

They will pick the laptop up from your house, repair it, and drop it back to you. Or you can take it to an Apple store where you have a dedicated appointment with a trained technician who will diagnose your machine on the spot, order any parts, and when possible, repair it for you.

Things break, and they can't really make it any easier for you. What you're asking seems unreasonable.

Although nobody's forcing you to get it repaired. And if you've been buying Macs since the colour classic you're fully aware of Apple's repair process.

16. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

I'm on the fence on this one, to a great extent I agree with you. You bought a $2,000+ notebook, you expect to get more than 5 months out of it before you need a repair that takes 2-3 days. I use my mac to make a living (i do of course have a backup, my old 17" for just such occasions).

That said I see the other side of the argument that no company is likely to completely replace an item that you've owned and used for 5 months. It's like buying a new car, driving it for 5 months then expecting them to replace it because it has an issue.

17. artschool thread starter macrumors member

sure, but how do i run my business for 7 working days without a laptop? :p

i dont disagree with you about things breaking, but this is a serious manufacturing issue that has effected alot of people.
    oh and i have never had anything go wrong with any other mac i have owned, including the colour classic which i sold to a collector!

----------

i use mine for work as well, and thats a big part of the problem. i have had dells go wrong in my office before and they just send out a new one no questions asked.

i rather naively assumed that apples customer service would be better!

its no big deal at the end of the day, i can always buy another laptop whilst this one gets repaired and then just give the mbp to my wife to use.

18. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Just hold on there... if you have a fault on your computer, ask them to fix it. Why should Apple recall a whole load of computers with great screens? They're not having mine back for a start! :)

19. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

it took 1 day to get the screen and 1 day to replace it in my retina.so pretty much you are without your laptop for 24 hours.
    this is downtown vancouver store,really busy store btw.

20. Brian Y macrumors 68040

I've *never* had a Dell machine replaced, they'll have a technician on site (for business accounts) next day, but they *never* replace.

And if you run your business from one machine - maybe it's time to invest in a backup. Either that, or sign up for http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/jointventure/ and use they loaner machine whilst they repair yours.

21. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

personally i agree with OP.

Apple should be recalling or replacing the issued units. Its their flagship laptop & we as consumers have to work around the companies short comings.

can you tell its been a huge PITA for me already?

I have been buying high end toys, cars, electronics etc since i was 17years young and thinking back on it.. I have NEVER had so many issues as I have had recently with apple computers.

22. artschool thread starter macrumors member

i am an architect and employee 5 people all of which work on dell workstations plus server and yes dell send technicians out but i have had the entire innards of machines replaced before now. my issue is that apple are quoting 7-10 days without the machine, dell will come to my office and fix it on the spot.

i happen to use a MPB retina plus a thunderbolt display myself, i am not sure why you think i should keep a spare machine incase my apple breaks down, but i suppose i must consider this from now on.

thank you for the suggestion, maybe you could suggest a dell laptop that would work with my thunderbolt display as for paying apple more money for joint venture, perhaps they should just do the right thing as it is no fault of my own that the laptop is faulty.

23. sensorian macrumors member

I had the same issue, Apple wanted to take 10 days to repair. As it is my primary work machine I couldn't live with that. In the end I contacted a local Apple accredited service provider, they ordered a new screen and for a small fee (£50) replaced it within a 3 hour time slot. This arrangement worked for me though some people would baulk at paying for the privilege. I guess it depends how important your MBPr is to your daily life, for me its vital.

I do think that in this case (where there is a known problem) Apple probably ought to work a little bit harder to make amends. If they had been able to give me a repair slot of even half a day or a day tops I could have worked with that but a 10 day window is just impractical if its your only system.

24. anzio macrumors 6502

Took it into the bar today after noticing it a bit. It passed the retention test, but the genius replaced it anyway after me showing him my test. Repaired in 3 hours and now have a Samsung screen with no retention and looks great. I love it! Awesome service again.

25. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

If owning a computer is vital to business needs, then just having one seems short sited. What if one of the inner components went and there's no power, won't boot etc?

Seems sensible to have a back up, doesn't have to be something expensive, just something that'll do the job.