MBP Retina LCD blue tint

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickolasd13, Dec 3, 2018.

1. nickolasd13 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!
    Just bought a used mbp 13 with retina display (late 2012) and have some problems with color displaying. The Calibration Assistant doesn't help, colors are too blue or too red.
    Compared to same mbp with retina - settings are the same, but my monitor seems to be weirdly blue.
    Mac OS Mojave freshly installed. The problem was the same on previous mac os.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Searched for key words or same problems in web - no results.

2. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Is it possible the newly purchased MacBook has a non-oem display?

3. nickolasd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's impossible, i've got it from my brother and this computer has never been to any service.

4. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Perhaps a different panel manufacturer? Apple has in the past used both LG and Samsung in the same model year.

5. nickolasd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

You see, the difference between monitors isn't the only problem. My blue monitor hurts my eyes, it vitiates every color and i cant do anything about it, because if i calibrate it for like 6000k it just turns more red :)

6. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Gotcha, so it is more extreme than minor color variances between different display manufacturers.

2010 models had an issue where they would sometimes display a blue tint whenever the integrated graphics were used, but would switch back to normal when the discrete graphics where used. A "workaround" and way to test that was to turn off the "automatic graphics switching" in the Energy Saver panel.

But I don't know that this is the issue you are having or if that issue even extended into 2012.

7. nickolasd13, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

nickolasd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

A “blue tint” is exactly what i’m experiencing, but my mac has only one graphic card - integrated intel 4000. So i don’t have a switch...
    already tried to delete something like NVRAM memory with lots of mac resets. Didn’t help.

8. BradMacPro macrumors member

Hook up an external display to see if it's the display or the logic board.

9. nickolasd13, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018

nickolasd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, just did it. It affects only the display of mac, the external monitor shows colors correctly.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 3, 2018 ---
    Here’s a comparison with mb 12’ retina with night shift off.

Attached Files:

10. nickolasd13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Btw, today i took mac to local service - all pins and connectors between motherboard and display seemed to be ok. And now i have no clue at all...

11. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

That's pretty bad. If the calibration isn't helping then you've got a bad screen.

12. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Didn’t they offer any prognosis other than that the pins and connectors seem OK? I mean obviously that isn’t a normal state :)