MBP Retina mini-Toslink Audio Port?

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Is the audio out port on the MBPR also mini-Toslink compatible?
According to iFixIt, no. It is a standard headphone jack. Someone could make a small Thunderbolt adapter to SPDIF and also a recently announced dock from Sunix will have SPDIF from Thunderbolt.

----------

There are also cheapo USB to SPDIF but since they probably show up as a USB device, it would likely be doing some processing to the signal, I think?

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Beach-...O4X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339645585&sr=8-1

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Just an update since the info was wrong before -- TUAW confirmed the headphone out does have SPIDF / toslink still. It hasn't been removed.

BruceBack

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2009
Thx for the link, Hoff.

Umm, both the link and the image said very clearly that it does.

jW
But here is the thing: if this sceenshot is from a Retina MBP, how come it has a firewire & Ethernet Card hardware?

colour

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
Anyone can write and post anything on the internet bro one site said it did the other says it doesn't.... both reputable.

Has anyone tried or can verify if sound works via toslink cable ?

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
Thx for the link, Hoff.

But here is the thing: if this sceenshot is from a Retina MBP, how come it has a firewire & Ethernet Card hardware?
It's just listed there. If you click it I'm sure it'll say something to the effect of "This computer does not have an Ethernet Card".

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Those are categories on the left. They do not mean that the system is equipped. Under ATA my MBP says
This computer doesn't contain any ATA devices. If you installed ATA devices, make sure they're connected and powered on.

W

WarrenFields

The Tech Specs list for the computer on Apple's site say it does.

"Headphone port
  • Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
  • Support for audio line out"

Edit: Never mind. Confused this with referring to S/PDIF out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.