MBP Retina Noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djschep, Sep 18, 2012.

1. djschep, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

djschep macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have the new Macbook Pro Retina 15" and it buzzes while its on. I was wondering if this is usual (seeing as its got a SSD it can't be the HDD)? If not what can I do to stop it (other than going to the apple store to see if they can fix if [although i do have applecare]) and does anyone else have this problem?

I added a link to an audio file holding my iPhone close to where the buzzing comes from so it doesn't sound so incredibly loud in real life but its still pretty loud! I sped up the fans using iStat Pro as I think it has something to do with the right fan!

(http://bit.ly/QjHVGp)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    Derek

2. Cassadian macrumors regular

Sounds like a fan ramping up but it is a different sound.

3. djschep thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but that doesn't help me much! :p

Anyone else know of this?

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Judging from the recording, you used a fan control app to speed up the fan halfway through. The change in sound indicates that the fan is making the unusual sound while idling (2000 rpm), which becomes unnoticeable when it speeds up.

While I doubt it's a real cause for concern, if the sound really bothers you, it would be best to take it into an Apple store with a Genius Bar appointment and get them to check it out. If they can hear it and think it's bad enough, they should just replace the fan.

On a side note, my Retina MacBook Pro is barely audible at all when idling in a silent room. I can *just* hear the sound of air moving through the fans, but it doesn't make a buzzing noise like the one you've recorded.

5. djschep thread starter macrumors member

Wow, you completely understood! Thanks so much for the help, it's what I thought to start with! Thanks for the help again!

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

No problem, I'm happy to help. :) Good luck and I hope you get it fixed!

7. djschep thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys, quick update,
    I'm taking my laptop to the apple store tomorrow to see if they can get it fixed. Hope it works!
    Thanks for all your help,
    djschep