MBP Retina or Macbook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mt8888, Apr 8, 2013.

1. mt8888 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I plan to buy a new macbook very soon. I am a college student who will use the laptop for research, word processing, web surfing, music, and slight photo editing. I originally thought the MB Air was best for me due to the portability and cheaper price tag. However, with a student discount and the recent price drop from Apple, I can get the MBP Retina for less than $200 more. But, I am hearing things such as ghosting, lagging, and fan noises with the Retina and feel that the MB Air is the safer choice. Any thoughts or advice? Is the Retina worth it? Is buying an Air still worth it? Thanks.

2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

The Air is amazingly portable. I have a regular MBP and an Air, and I use my Air way more.

3. pmcneil macrumors newbie

From this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=17113268

4. Gator Bob macrumors regular

I sold my 13" MacBook Air and bought a 15" Retina MacBook Pro. Both are wonderful. The Air was sufficient to my needs and the Pro is even wonder- fuller. The Air is far more portable but the Pro is portable enough. If I felt like throwing more money at my wishes, I'd own both. I already own a ipad 3 and min-ipad.

5. rpg51 macrumors 6502

rpg51

I gave my 13 inch Air to my wife and bought a rMBP 13. The rMBP 13 is an extremely compact and portable little computer but it is also much more robust than the air in every way. I think the difference is like night and day really, especially the screen and the ruggedness of the whole package. The air seems almost like a toy now when I set it on my lap. The rMBP is perfect for me and it actually has a slightly smaller footprint than the Air.

6. Devilcup, Apr 9, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

Devilcup macrumors newbie

Was considering Air and rMBP 13"

as i doing some casual photography, i need good screen + mobility. Was thinking to wait for the Air to come out with Retina screen but after doing some weight comparison. i decided on rMBP and stop watiing. It is not that heavier to me. Furthermore, it has more powerful.

so far i am very happy with the decision. carry around and i dun feel it that heavy.

7. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

if 200$ is not a problem for you, I'd go for the MBP.... is more powerful and better spec'd than the air... moreover you have a HD screen...

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd go with a 13" air, or the 15" retina. No sense spending $200 more for the 13" retina for what amounts to less screen real-estate and more weight.

9. choffy macrumors member

choffy

I'm a college student, and almost every day I have buyer's remorse that I went with the rMBP over an Air. There's no need for all of this, and the price difference is nothing to scoff at.

But I'm also in the huge minority.

10. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

I also a student and had a Late 2012 MBA (i7/8/256). I had if for 4 months and then I exchanged it for 15" rMBP (I added some $$$).
    Anyway, this is why I made the exchange:
    1. The display. MBA has a crappy TN panel that can be viewed in certain angels. If you are laying in bed, prepare to rotate your laptop quite a bit to get the best viewing angle (and even then. you will see half of the colors).

2. Display size. I couldn't open more than 2 PDF files at the same time (screen resolution + 13" is too small for a research based machine). With rMBP 15", I have 4 PDF's and a browser on the same display, and it's just amazing. The rMBP 13" is also capable of doing so due to its screen resolution, but 2" does make a lot of difference (but 15" is probably out of your price range, and isn't so portable).

3. Small things like speakers (Are pure **** on MBA), lack of USB 3, etc.
    I bought my MBA for $1800, and exchanged it for $400 to get the rMBP. I got as twice as stronger machine that would last me at least 4-5 years without any problem. GeekBench gives me around 12K for my rMBP, while MBA gave me around 6600. It's almost twice the power, and you really can feel it while editing. I also have the thought thet OSX is becoming more heavier and consuming in terms of hardware. Just two years ago, 8GB RAM has sounded crazy, but today is pretty much a standard. What would be in 2-3 more years? who knows, but I'm prepared.

Anyway, if you can wait 2-3 months, it would be for your benefit since new Macs are coming up.