MBP Retina or MBP Non-Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by psik, Aug 4, 2013.

1. psik macrumors 6502

Guys,

I currently have a 2006 macbook I use....its lasted me this long. My point being is that I try to use a product as long as possible until it becomes too slow for everyday tasks and also simple everyday multitasking tasks such as for example having a word editor, internet browser, video player, and adobe acrobat open and used at the same time...

So I want to but the new MBP 13" that is coming out this October 2013,
    and my question is whether I should buy the MBP Pro Retina or the Non-Retina version because I have heard that the Retina version uses more CPU/GPU .. and it exhibits a LOWER frame rate than the Non-Retina with apps such as Safari... So while I prefer to get Retina I am afraid that over-time it will get slower quicker than the non-retina display Macbook Pro.

Basically in one sentence, which one is faster the Pro Retina or Non-Retina, and which is more future proof?
    Sorry if my question is too newb like, appreciate your help.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First you need to see what apple does with the Haswell refresh of the MBPs. What happens if they drop the cMBP from the line up, and go Retina only. That kind of makes your decision of you.

If you're wanting to play games, then the 13" laptop with its integrated only GPU may not be the best solution. The retina display will certainly put more demands on the GPU and if frame rates are important go for the classic MBP - provided Apple updates that line with the Haswell chipset.

3. psik thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks, then it is a wait and see. First see if Apple even will release the cMBP, and second, compare their performances based on benchmarks I guess..

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

No, the Retina MBP won't get slower versus the regular MBP. That's just silly. And Apple probably won't even update the classic MBP.

5. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

6. psik thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree. The reason I brought it up is because the current gen of macbook pro retinas...had slower framerates on some things than the non-retinas, i never figured out if the reason was software/hardware...though it seems Mavericks fixes the issue, although there is no denying that the Retina requires more GPU power no? But anyways I am pretty sure you are right,

Thanks for the responses everyone ;)

7. scbond macrumors 6502

8. psik thread starter macrumors 6502

Why because of the fact that one can get a lower price due to the sales going on?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't rush into buying it. Even if Apple discontinues the cMBP, you'll be able to find it in their refurb section and of course other places, like Amazon and MacMall will still have it shortly after the refresh

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seeing the MacBook Airs, the new rMBP will have PCIe based storage which you won't be able to get on the regular MBP.

Performance wise the rMBP has better cooling due to the redesigned interior, so it will run cooler (and faster for a longer period of time) overall. It's been proven that the rMBP memory as it's soldered is faster than the memory in other computers.

The drawback is the lack of user upgradeability, but whether or not that's important is all subjective. Personally it doesn't matter to me.

11. psik thread starter macrumors 6502

it is clear that the retina display macbook pro is the one i will get ... there seem to be no advantages to the classic one (that is if it is released in the upcoming refresh) other than of course the price, should it even be released..)

12. scbond macrumors 6502

It's the most popular one for a reason. Plus it'll more than likely not get any updates and it's days are numbered (I personally think it'll stick around for another year before they stop selling them).