MBP retina panel shortages?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adjeff8, Apr 28, 2013.

1. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

So Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities says he believes that the MBP with Haswell will be out in late June but the rMBP with Haswell will be out later in the year due to "MacBook Pro with Retina display will see release later in the year due to low yield of the notebook's high-resolution panels"

What do you guys think that really means? Could it be that Samsung is out of the game, thus the shortage?

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I will let you in on a secret. Ming does not know anything about anything. He may have educated guesses, but he does not know.

Purely speculation.

3. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Good to hear. But I've heard about this panel thing elsewhere. I don't know why this would be true unless Samsung is out or there's a redesign or maybe they've just performed too many replacements, which I find hard to believe.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

He probably does wild guessing just like everyone else!

5. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Here's what I'm hoping, and I know it's a long shot. I hope that they are in redesign mode of the retina display, only the display, not the machine, taking away the 1/2" bordering Bezel (I think that's what you guys have been calling it) making it a true full screen. And that's why the cMBP's would be released before the rMBP. (And yes, I'm aware that the cMBP may be discontinued. But the closer we get the more unlikely that seems. There are too many places in this world where the Internet is unreliable at best so they need to keep a optical option at least for a little while more)

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The only way that really makes sense would be if they're planning on switching to Sharp's IGZO displays for better brightness and battery life.

7. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

that, exactly that

8. siamchen macrumors newbie

siamchen

That's the only possibility at this stage. But, it's really unlikely. If Apple wants IGZO, iPhone 5S will be the first and Sharp is struggling with the production capacity already.

9. jamesbarns macrumors member

I agree here. Ming is just taking guesses based on research that probably wasn't done by him. Also he doesn't know anything for sure, so the only way to know for sure is when it comes out. Apple likes to play the waiting game.

10. Mr MM, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

not necessarily.

the more parts you get away from samsung the better for apple and the worst for their main competitor

apple needs to get the new m500 into the retinas, along with IGZO, that fills their pockets as well

they also need to get their SoCs out of samsung ASAP

EDIT: reading more into the whole IGZO thing I missed that samsung and qualcomm bought some shares of sharp and that the deal with foxconn hasnt made itself up

So for me a very detailed balance of what is sharp now, should be made, with a few billions (foxconn was planning to buy 9.9% for 508mil), apple could have that tech for themselves

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That depends. It could be that making a million or so Macbook screens would be easier than making 30 million iPhone screens in a quarter.

12. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You have far too much hatred for the bezel. I don't think they're going to make any major changes to aesthetics. They seem to make whatever tweaks on second generation products, but Apple tends to stick with the same basic designs for several cycles. They usually implement a number of major changes simultaneously with a big event as they did with the last one. The cMBP is likely to continue if they can't hit $1800 at their desired margins with the rMBP. If they're facing supply constraints at launch, they're also more likely to maintain the existing price structure.

13. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

Yeah. I know that. There won't be any design changes after only one generation. I was just taking a stab as to why there would be a retina panel shortness. It really doesn't make sense unless either they are cutting Samsung or LG off, or they are implementing a design change. Or...And this is most likely, this guy doesn't really know anything about what's coming and when it's coming.

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It could make sense if their demands tend to surge at launch or they are making minor panel changes. It's also possible that yields would be a problem if they were considering a change in pricing structure to get rid of the cMBP. There are plenty of things that could cause this, especially if yields are merely sufficient at the moment.

15. adjeff8 thread starter macrumors 6502

adjeff8

One would think the real surge would be if they do indeed upgrade the cMBP. Hasn't been upgraded in awhile and people clamoring for the last Macbook with a optical and so on