MBP Retina Sleep/Wake Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chuckm1020, Sep 23, 2012.

1. chuckm1020 macrumors regular

So I have an interesting issue with my Retina that I have had for about a month in a half now. It all started happening after the recent EFI firmware update that came out of the 19th. And the issue happens about 50 percent of the time. When I put my MBP to sleep all is fine. But when I open it to try to wake it up, it tends to just go to a black screen. I know its on. I can slightly hear the fans. Even when I hit caps lock the light goes green(but the backlit keyboard is off). Only way to get out of it, is a hard shutdown. I have to tried to fix it. First I thought it might be a power nap issue. So I disabled that. No go. I even went as far as doing a full Erase & Install of the OS. And I did not bring over a time machine backup. I set it up as new. Did not solve. Im not sure what to do. Right now I turned off automatic graphics switching to see if that has anything to do it with it. Any help or comments are appreciated.

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

I still have that problem with 10.8.2. and my retina macbook pro. :|

3. stuaz macrumors 6502

Yeah I have had similar issues with my rMBP especially when plugging in the power cord when its asleep and it then not waking up when I lift the lid.

Will be interested to see what people suggest to you.

(I have recently reset my SMC though to correct issues with FPS in games since the Firmware update recently, and haven't had an issue yet since...).

4. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Totally forgot about the ol SMC. I gave that a try. Then I turned back on auto graphics switching, then put to sleep for an hour. Woke it up and still got black screen. The keyboard was lit this time though. Weird :p So now I turned back off auto graphics switching. We shall see!! What I pain in the ass!!

5. stuaz macrumors 6502

Yeah when mine has the problem the keyboard is lit but the screen stays black, and only a hard restart will work.

I am confident this is a Mountain Lion issue as I didn't have that problem till upgrading - I have contemplated doing a fresh install as I only did an upgrade but the problem at the moment doesn't happen enough to warrant the pain and annoyance of starting again! lol.

6. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Had same problem with early 2011 15" mbp a couple of weeks back. Only happened after ML upgrade. Sold it off recently though (upgraded to a 2012 machine) so can't say if a fresh OS reinstall would do the trick.

7. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it looks like turning off automatic graphics switching didn't work. Has happened 3 times today already. This happened after I put that EFI update on. Is there a way to revert back or even just reinstall the update again(maybe something got corrupt on it)?

8. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update. 10.8.2 supplemental update did not solve the issue at all :(

9. stephanos2k macrumors newbie

I have the same issue for 2 days now, did you solve the problem?

Regards
    Stephan

10. chuckm1020 thread starter macrumors regular

The recent update for all 2012 MacBook pros with the graphics update actually fixed my issue so far.