MBP Retina with Multiple Monitors Attached

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattmikulla, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mattmikulla macrumors newbie

Ok. Let me know if I'm reading this right. From the tech specs the new MBP can support 2 additional displays plus the laptop retina display at once?

Also, can you not use the HDMI for an additional display? There is no mention of it in the following Graphics and Video Support:

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs/

Intel HD Graphics 4000

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory and automatic graphics switching

Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on up to two external displays, at millions of colors

Thunderbolt digital video output
    • Native Mini DisplayPort output
    • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yes, the laptop display and two external displays. I guess that means you can use two mini-displayport (or Thunderbolt) displays or one mini-displayport and one HDMI.

3. Mweston macrumors newbie

That was my biggest problem too.. I purchased the retina display and currently have the 24" cinema display that I use as my primary monitor. Now I'm not sure what to use as my primary monitor. The retina display is clearly better technology but I like the size of the cinema display.

I also wanted to add on another another TBD to equal 2 external monitors but now I'm thinking I should wait to see if they release a TBD retina. :eek: I'm thinking if I get a TBD display I'm not going to like it compared to the MBP retina.

4. mattmikulla thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm also hoping that we can attach any display and not just apple displays for this to work.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yes, you should be able to do that no problem. Just use two Mini-Displayport to VGA or DVI adapters, or an HDMI cable. No need to use Thunderbolt-capable displays unless you need the extra docking functions.

6. rdav macrumors 6502

rdav

MacPro: Four Screens?

So, in theory, you could hang one 2560x1600 Monitor off EACH of the two Tb ports (total two), plus the native 2880x1800 Retina screen AND an external 1080p HDMI TV? All running different images. Right?

7. Stetrain, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

Stetrain macrumors 68040

We'll have to wait for people to try it.

Apple only says that it supports the internal display plus two external displays.

On the other hand, the non-retina 15" MBP states that it only supports the internal display and one external display, but it can actually support two externals in practice (as long as the first one is a Thunderbolt display).

8. Mweston macrumors newbie

Great now I'm going to have to go buy a Thunder Bolt Display to add on to my Cinema Display.... I wonder when they will be updating the thunder bolt display to retina.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I doubt there will be a retina Thunderbolt Display for a year or two, and even still they might keep selling the non-retina one because of the potential price difference.

Also you wouldn't need to get a Thunderbolt display to have two monitors hooked to your Retina MBP, that only applies to the non-retina models.

10. igneousc macrumors regular

I was trying to figure out the same thing. I might get the retina mbp if I can use it to replace my desktop pc. I'm thinking maybe I could go thunderbolt to one dvi, hdmi to the other, and the other thunderbolt for ethernet.

11. mattmikulla thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how I would attach two 24" Dell U2410 Monitors?

Doesn't seem like HDMI will push the full resolution.

12. Sound214 macrumors 6502

13. mattmikulla thread starter macrumors newbie

So does that mean I can just plug them both in using mini display plugs into both thunderbolt ports?

14. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

15. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

HDMI should push full resolution. Also, doesn't that monitor have Mini displayport? Mini displayport fits right into the thunderbolt port.

16. Rudy69 macrumors 6502a

Rudy69

It will work....but you don't need to close it really, 3 monitors plus the macbook's screen on also works

17. aliennerd macrumors member

I can confirm you can run 3 external displays plus the Retina screen. I hooked up two Apple 24" LED displays to the TB ports and a Samsung TV to the HDMI.

[​IMG]

18. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

This amazing! Is there any kind of lag when doing this? Seems like it would be very taxing on the video card.

19. aliennerd macrumors member

I didn't notice any, I'm hoping to try it again and shoot some video.

20. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Have you tried multiple display and not just duplicate display?

21. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yes, duplicating is pointless. It says up to two 2560x1600, obviously these have to be tb or DP or dual dvi. The hdmi will only support hd. I'm assuming there's no mini DP port, so we have to us a tb to DP adaptor?

22. b0blndsy macrumors 6502

Looks like that's gonna be the way to do it.

I wonder if these would work too...
    1. tb > hdmi > hdmi splitter > hd outputs
    2. tb > dp adaptor > dp splitter > dp outputs

Either way, it's still gonna be duplicates only.

23. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Thunderbolt ports ARE Mini DP ports, and it works fine. See my post here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15098215&postcount=192

And no, none of those displays are duplicated, they're all their own unique desktop areas.