MBP Retina with Slow Shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boto, Jun 21, 2012.

1. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Hey, is anyone encountering slow shutdown speeds on their retina display MBP? I just recently purchased mine and I seem to have a 20 second duration till shutdown, as soon as the grey background appears. I'm kind of worried that my machine is defective and was hoping anyone else could share their experiences. Although it may be possibly because of the software I installed (About 70GB worth) that caused this excessive slow down. Hopefully I'm not alone and this is an issue with Lion because my 2011 iMac does the same for shutdown speeds, just a few more seconds longer (About 2-5).

2. imorton macrumors 6502

Also have a slow shutdown

I know how you feel as my early 13" 2011 MBpro with 8g Ram and Vertex2 SSD used to shutdown within 2-3 seconds on Snow Leopard.

Now that I upgraded to Lion 10.7.4, the machine works fine and boots up from power button to useable desktop in @ 18-20 seconds, YET takes @ 30 seconds to shutdown :(

The slow shutdown happens even if I close all the running programs.

Hopefully someone here has found a solution :)

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Mine shuts down in about 10 seconds using a hard drive. No issues here

4. trsblader macrumors 6502

My Retina boots and shuts down on 10.7.4 in under 15 seconds every time. Haven't experienced any slowness in that department

5. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

6. doh123 macrumors 65816

i went ahead and tested it and its extremely quick.... but its pretty rare I ever shut down, maybe once a month? just close the screen and go... pop it open later :)

7. mbezzo macrumors member

I've noticed that on all of my macs (I support about 50) moving to Lion has greatly lengthened the shutdown time. I think this has something to do with Lion, and not your laptop. I'm seeing this across many different types of computers. It's kind of annoying, but I guess in the scheme of things not a big deal - it's about 20-30 seconds it seems.

8. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Is there a reason you're shutting down your Macbook enough for this to be an issue? I've had an Air for 2 years now and I think I've shut it down maybe 10 times total.

9. imorton macrumors 6502

Thanks for the very informative reply. I am not glad to see that it is happening across your 50 some odd Macs, but it eliminates my MBpro as the problem.

Since my SSD equipped 2011 MBpro used to shutdown in @2-3 secs with SL, I figured it was a Lion thing.

I agree that the 20-30 second shutdown is trivial in the grand scheme of things, yet I can't seem to find WHY it is taking that time.... Is it due to iCloud connections, running Parallels Desktop, remote network connections, resume or versions feature.....?

Other than the shutdown, Lion has been rock solid and quite fast with a SataII ssd... Now we just need an inexpensive Thunderbolt external SSD backup drive to use that 10Gbs TB port.. :)

10. boto thread starter macrumors 6502

boto

Yes, I do this daily to save energy and reduce on battery cycle count. I just find it absurd that an SSD would perform like this. This issue has been irritating me ever since I made the switch to Lion, causing longer bootups and especially the longest shutdown times I have ever experienced.

Also, I'm eager to know if any Mountain Lion users are also experiencing this on their part. I would be relieved if this problem was finally resolved.

11. imorton, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

imorton macrumors 6502

I agree with you totally. LION should not require 20-30 seconds to shutdown with an SSD. I called Applecare support and they had no clue. Maybe someone has already posted a bug report on the "Apple feedback page"?

Together, we should be able to find the source in Lion that is causing this. :(

12. boto thread starter macrumors 6502

boto

Anyone carrying about 70-100 GB storage of data in their new rMBP? I want to confirm if having this much data affects anyone else's rMBP shutdown speeds to 20 seconds or higher. Otherwise, my bootup speeds are performing as expected at 14-16 seconds.

I'm just frustrated that my bootup is faster than my shutdown speeds... :(

13. imorton macrumors 6502

I have @ 90gigs on my early 13" 2011 MB Pro. But I could swear that even with a fresh clean install of Lion 10.7.4 it was exhibiting the 20-30 sec shutdown.

My boot ups from pressing the power button to useable desktop is @ 18-20 seconds with a SSD Vertex2

I really wish we find the cause so that I can return to the 2-4 second shutdowns.

14. Ferraiuolo macrumors newbie

Do you have or had Paralles installed? This is what I did:
    1. In 'Finder', clicked on 'Macintosh HD' under Devices.
    2. Double clicked on 'Library'
    3. Double clicked on 'LauchAgents'
    4. Dragged three files starting with 'com.parallels.' to 'Trash'. Required password.
    5. Repeated #1 and #2
    6. Double clicked on 'LaunchDaemons' now
    7. Dragged one file starting with 'com.parallels.' to 'Trash'. Required password.
    8. Restarted the system. This is the last time system takes time to 'Shut Down'.
    9. After restart, 'Shut Down' took just a few seconds !
    We have to wait for 'Parallels' to come up with an update to fix this.

15. imorton macrumors 6502

I just tried this and it didn't change my 20-30 second shutdown time. Anyone else have any luck?

IAN...

16. Ferraiuolo macrumors newbie

This worked for me. If I find any other way to fix this, I will post here.

17. tharealdi macrumors newbie

I'm having 30 second shutdowns too with Retina MBP but I don't have parallels.. As stated by another forum user I noticed with safari open the MPB shuts down fairly quick.

18. imorton macrumors 6502

I don't know if this makes any difference but I also have 3 external USB hard drives connected AND am using an 24" external screen at the same time?

But I had this setup with SL and I had also immediate shutdown times.

But if remember correctly, it takes 20-30 seconds to shutdown even when I am disconnected from the external HDs and the external LCD (plus I am running a SSD)

19. tharealdi macrumors newbie

I did a wipe out and the shut down time was again fast. After all of my software installs shut down time slowed down again. So obviously a software issue I would say.

20. imorton macrumors 6502

I'm wondering if the slow shutdown time has to be with the "closing" of iCloud connections?

The reasons I say is that shutdown time in Snow Leopard was fast for me, and it has slowed ever since Lion?

Just thinking out loud, IAN...

21. GodforSaken macrumors newbie

hello,

I have the same freagin issue with my MBR and its really pissing me off, the start up takes like 5 seconds and shut down last night it took like 50-60 seconds...

anybody has a solution for this or is it a MacOS issue? i have the latest MacOS updated.

WTF????????

22. Ifti macrumors 68000

Pretty sure its an OSX issue - have the same problem here.
    Statup is under 15 secs, and shutdown about 20, whereas before it would shut down with 2-3 secs!

23. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

It's like that since 10.8.2. Thank Apple for not fixing it on 10.8.3 and probably 10.8.4.

24. owensky macrumors member

I have noticed this too. My 13" rMBP takes longer to shut down than it doesn't to turn on. I don't think it's a big deal.

25. andrezuppe macrumors member

Hi, these "magica"l command lines fixed for me the issue on my 15" retina. Now my mac shutdown almost instant :)

type these commands into the terminal window one by one and right after terminal repair permissions in the disc utulity

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 1

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 1

After those commands apply a repair disk permission and reboot. The next reboot again will be FASTER :)

Bye,

Andrea