MBP - Rev A problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rasmusDoh, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2009
    #1
    Hey

    Anyone know if there are, infact, often minor (and sometimes larger) problems with Rev A of a new upgrade?

    An example could be the recent iMacs..

    One could argue that you can't fix ALL problems before releasing the upgrade.
    Anyone know how this've been in the past?
     
  2. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

    Wehrwolf

    Joined:
    May 21, 2009
    #2
    There can be...but Apple HAS released new products with minimal issues in the past too -- the 2006 Mac Pro was relatively problem free, as was the Intel Mac Mini.

    If you're concerned just wait a few weeks after release to see if any systemic issues start to surface.
     
  3. webtoker macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #3
    I have vivid memories of my fist gen Intel MacBook Pro that had high pitch noise issues as well as overheating. Logic board replacement twice fixed it. I know others had these issue as well. They eventually fixed it after a specific week number of production.
     
  4. Pax macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2003
    #4
    The first white Macbooks were a Rev A nightmare. In the first 6 months mine had
    - overheat / random shutdown -> new logic board
    - cracking top case -> new case
    - dying battery -> replaced

    Separate incidents so 2 trips back to Apple.

    These were not isolated incidents. Since these have been fixed it's been a great computer. But I won't by Rev A again from Apple even though I think their QA has got better.
     
  5. rasmusDoh thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2009
    #5
    Yeah okay.

    I'm gonna buy a MBP - and i know everyone suggests waiting.

    But if there are, somewhat often, problems with Rev A upgrades, i would really consider buying one now.

    I know they'r kinda overpriced for it's hardware, but they work flawlessly.

    Also even though i don't NEED it now, i really WANT it now. I'm about to study economics, so from what i know a faster CPU and GPU won't be noticeable. I'll only be doing "Office work" and some mathematic calculations (nothing heavy AFAIK) - and i won't be gaming as i never liked gaming on a laptop.

    With my needs, and to avoid Rev A problems, how do you think buying now sounds?
     
  6. Pax macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2003
    #6
    I bought recently, despite knowing about upgrades. IMHO the longer we wait for upgrades, the more radical the new model is likely to be, and the more chance of Rev A problems.

    If it's just a CPU/GPU upgrade I doubt you'll notice any day to day difference unless you're a gamer or Photoshop god. If it's a more radical design overhaul or move to eg higher res screens, you might kick yourself (and me).

    Why not buy refurb? Significantly cheaper, quality ought to be good because anything that's blown up has been fixed. Full warranty I think. Save $$$$$.
     
  7. oldgeezers940 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #7
    I'm in the same boat... thinking about getting in my car now to go pick one up.

    It's tough trying to make a decision based mostly on speculation about whether or not the new models will be stable or not.


    How many weeks does it usually take to work out kinks?
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    I remember when the G4 Powerbooks came out - the first aluminum ones. They had a serious display issue because of some sort of mounting clips were causing "white" spots to show up on the display.

    I was affected by this and it took apple a long time to acknowledge the issue and then a bit of time to find a solution, but in the end, they did.

    That's why its probably crucial that you purchase applecare for revision A machines.
     
  9. oldgeezers940 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2010
    #9
    Yea, I'm not tryin to wait to buy a computer only to have to wait even longer to have the bugs worked out of it... I need a computer in the next two weeks, but I can't seem to decide if the inflated prices are worth it.

    This is much harder than it needs to be.
     

Share This Page