MBP/rMBP Owners and your experience with battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcphoto, Jul 24, 2015.

1. jcphoto macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I recently called up apple to buy replacement battery for my ancient MBP a1260 (Core2duo ~2008) and found out they recently discontinued the batteries, warranting maybe it is time for me to upgrade my laptop.

My main question is for those MBP and rMBP owners whose batteries are glued in.
    1. How was your experience with battery replacement with Apple?
    2. How long did the technicians take to replace the batteries?
    3. How is your battery's capacity after a year for the newer MBP/rMBPs?

I am curious as I go through a new battery once a year (I do not have the best battery cycling habits and its just easier for me to replace it each year) and if current owners see a drop in battery performance each year, then I'll have to spend 100+ for a battery replacement + a laptop out-of-commission during the replacement process...

Thanks for all the input!
    J.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Firstly batteries are much better these days and the much better power management on macbooks seems to give them a longer life too. It is rare to hear of peoples batteries in the rMBP lasting less than 3 years, I have had mine for 18 months and charge it as when I feel like it for as long as I like and mine is still almost like new after 200 odd cycles.

In fact I have never had to have one replaced my 2010 MBP is getting shorter battery life now for my brother but it is still going strong 5 years on.

As far as I know battery replacements are while you wait, but I have no personal experience.

3. Falcon9 macrumors member

Falcon9

It's pretty likely the battery will outlast the computer. Also, the newer laptops with built in batteries don't require you to do any special cycling procedures to them.