MBP rumors summarised and analysed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by add2mac, Jan 31, 2008.

1. add2mac macrumors member

Here is my humble opinion, feel free to criticise or add onto this

1. Release Date

Two factors, if Apple is going to do a update for Montevina, it will be in June since Montevina is coming in May. Therfore, I say March release as someone said seems to be too late that is if it is going to be that late, they might as well wait until May and release it then.

So the updates will be in Feb if it is indeed coming. I think next Tuesday is very likely as they will give them more time to prepare themselves for "Mobile" Mac OS X SDK launch(which does not seem to be linked to hardware side at all). Launching it early will give them more time. I personally think it will not be released next week just because of Super Tuesday or whatever as company this big does not always aim for media exposure and Pro line up does not need as much media fanfare unless it is something radical and unheard of technology wise before.

But then again there may be other factors like unexpected hardware design problem. Seeing that battery logging program was the very first source of leakage Apple seems to want to know how many hours they can beef out over current MBP. This may lead us to three inferences. 1. That battery time is not differentiated enough over current one to make the typical 'comaprison with older model' marketing possible that they have to continually retest to extend it as much as they can or 2. They are testing it out to make sure battery is working okay(i.e. everything is on schedule) with so much hype about exploding battery these days or 3.This may indicate semi-major change in case etc. as this seems to be done to re write product info page and if this update was just a processor bumped up and since Penryn only gives you 30mins more typically, such battery test would not have been neccessary IMHO

Reason for relatively late launch: I say it may be due to the special small package processor. But then again this may be due to the short supply as Dell is not also getting on with Penryn update.

On the special small packaging issue, I also think this is quite possible since then they can more easily implement Montevina without significant case redesign. And as Apple is unlikely benefit much from Montevina update other than the use of faster front side bus plus memory(They might as well implement this with tweaked chipset but this is very very unlikely as this will require more changes than just CPU and chipset packaging) , This seems quite possible to me especially as Apple does not neccessarilly match platform update with their design change as we have seen from change between late Powerbook to MBP(there was no major form factor change)

If anyone think, this special small package may mean that this MBP deserves more than silent update, I say this has been publicised enough at Macworld SFO 2008 on keynote speech.

Also, correct me if I am wrong but Apple has history of tendency of releasing new laptop lineup in Jan or Feb so it will be soon.

In terms of case redesign, I think it's about time because while it is good enough, as a sort of leading technological/design company they have to refresh their design whether they want it or not especailly now given that they have new technology to minimise the CPU size and hence the logic board(saved space may be used for better GPU?)

Also they have been playing aroung with Intel CPUs enough to make new case design to make it perform well without turning MBP into mobile cooking station.

2. Specs.:

I am really hoping for price drop but not to sure if this will take place.
    In terms of Specs I think following is quite probable.

Possible design changes:
    -Latches: as everyone seems to not like them I personally think it is another part that can break
    -Keyboard:I like to see old Ti-Book style graphite Keyboard back to have some contrast. But MBA style keyboard is not at all unlikely bu then again who knows.
    -Ports: SATA will be nice but not frequently used so it is unlikely.
    HDMI is nice and quite probable but Apple will want to differentiate computer line-up with Apple TV for now at least so there is a chance that it will not even be considered. If Apple includes HDMI we may take this as a sign that Apple will merge Apple TV with Mac mini.
    -Possibly some slashing thickness from screen optimising bessel for LED since current bessel was designed ante-LED era I believe? but overall will be 1 inch but may be with bit more curving. I say 1 inch beacuse I think it is probably ideal thickness for holding laptop without having cramped feeling on your hand.

15.4"+++++++++++++++++
    =====================
    2.5Ghz(6MB)
    2GB
    8600M GT 256MB( or possibly they will go back to ATI since they have more cooler and power effcient GPU(correct me if I am wrong with this), such as 3600XT HD or even 38XX

200GB(5400rpm)(BTO 64GB SSD and 320GB)

=====================
    2.6Ghz(6MB)
    4GB
    same GPU 256MB option for 512MB

250Gb(5400rpm)(BTO 64GB SSD and 320GB)

17"+++++++++++++++++++
    =====================
    2.6Ghz(6MB)
    Same as above

I am pessimistic about 12inch or 13inch MBP though...

3. What will be the main feature?

Long battery life
    Better graphics
    HDMI?
    Slightly lighter

P.S. I heard LG's Penryn(2.5) laptop with 8600M GT scored 4100ish with 1024x768 resolution in 3dMark06 so it seems like Processor will not make much difference to current graphic score.

2. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

i think that is a fair prediction. the specs you have put up are pretty much bang on. you think they will have a BTO for the 17" for a faster processor? and what do you think price will be?

3. willcodejavafor macrumors regular

you dont beleive in the new touch pad features?

4. ChaePod macrumors newbie

i think the multi -gesture touch pad will be added also.

The faster the update comes out the better..... cos the current MBP (refurb) is slightly out of my budget... but when a new model comes out doesn't the discount % increse on refurbs? correct me if im wrong :D

5. jamin. macrumors regular

Okay so you just contradicted yourself there? So you think it will be released next Tuesday but at the same time you disagree with yourself.

6. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Sounds like a fair recap of MBP rumors/sentiments. :p

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Im also waiting for the update,i dont want to p*ss on anyones parade,
    but i cant help thinking that because of the MBA it might be like
    christmas day, you expect a something real nice & and end up with
    a pair of socks

8. add2mac thread starter macrumors member

Bad English

Oh... mea culpa

I meant that Super-Tuesday is not a good enoguh reason to stop the update from happening