MBP running 10.6.1 won't start up. Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PhaserFuzz, Nov 8, 2009.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I am getting THIS error whenever I boot up my mac. I believe it is called a "Kernel Panic". Before this happened my mac kept freezing randomly. When it locked up the screen flashed and displayed purplish colors. It would usually just restart, but it won't now.

I went to the Genius bar and the guy was pretty much helpless. He told me to insert my Snow Leopard disc and reinstall it. Now just an FYI, I already restored using the original OSX disc that came with my mac. I erased the HDD and it worked for a while, but then it froze up again after a few days. I told him this and he said to use my SL disc and do an archive install. I inserted it and it won't load up. I held "C" down when my computer started and I still get that same error message, and now I can't eject the disc. He said if this doesn't work then it's most likely a costly problem.

I've researched quite a bit online and can't find a solution. I'd appreciate any help I can get! Thanks for your time!

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you got it after a reinstall as well then it's definitely a hardware issue, which one? had to say. Could be HDD, RAM, or a component on the logic board. It's really not up to you to determine the problem. I'd go back to the Apple Store and be firm that you've tried reinstalls and it's not working. Make them realize that it is most likely a hardware issue.

3. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the Apple store charge a large fee for repair work? I am not under Apple care anymore. Wondering if it would be cheaper to take it somewhere else.

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah most likely. I know for a fact that replacing the logic board costs $900, which you probably need. I would still go to the Apple Store and have them test it. I know they do a diagnostic test. So that will tell you what problem your notebook has.

5. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh that is not what I wanna hear! How does a logic board just go bad? Just my luck... Thanks tho. I'll give the genius bar another go.

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Well if it's a graphic issue, they will replace the logic board for free even if you are out of warranty. You did say your screen displayed purple colors and that's a sign of the graphic card failure. Do you have the 8600m?

7. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. When it locked up the screen flashed, everything had a purplish/greenish color, and there was an odd square shape around the cursor arrow. Also for awhile now theres been a vertical green line going up the far, left side of my monitor. It appears randomly and I figured it was a loose cable or something. Could that be linked to this problem? If so, you say they'll repair it for free even out of warranty?

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yeah, that definitely is a graphic card problem. Tell them your macbook pro has these problems and they should repair it for free.

Apple extended their warranty to cover these faulty nvidia graphic cards so you're covered on that front. :)

Here's the support article if you're interested: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

9. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for letting me know man. Hopefully that works!