MBP running at 98-100C after small cpu load

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zioxide, May 30, 2009.

1. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So I have a 2.2 ghz mid 2007 macbook pro, and whenever I do anything that generates a load on the CPU more than like 50%, the CPU temp shoots up to the mid 90s and sometimes even hits 100C. The fans go up to like 4500-5000rpm and it does absolutely nothing. It happens the most when I'm watching flash video (youtube and stuff), but it has happened doing just about everything.

I've already tried cleaning out the MBP in case their was any dust blocking the fans.. it didn't help. I'm starting to get worried. Is there something seriously wrong with this laptop?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i would say that yes there is evidence for concern. you should probably take it in as soon as possible. if you continue like this you could melt the components on your logic board.

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Definitely take it in as soon as possible, the intel chips are not supposed to run that hot on youtube, i once got my macbook up to 91C like 196F abut i was working with imovie and was on hulu but you should definitely take it into an apple store

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

How did you clean it? Most of the dust collects on the side of the heatsink facing the fans - dust that was propelled through the cooler but couldn't be forced between the heatsink vanes. The easiest way to clean it is to blast the "exhaust" side of the heatsink with canned air. Did you do that AND clean around the fan blades?

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Do not turn on your laptop. If you haven't already done damage, you probably will with continued use. If you have popped open the case for cleaning, and everything looks peachy, you have a heatsink problem - reseating the heatsink (after cleaning it off and reapplying thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink) might solve the problem.

This is, however, the case for a completely CLEAN case. Make sure there is little dust, like J the Ninja said.

If you have AppleCare, use it.

6. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

I used like half a can of canned air to blast all the dust out after I took the case off. It's definitely clean, so I know there has to be some kind of problem.

Yeah, I have Applecare, so I'm gonna probably take it in tomorrow and see what those idiots at the genius bar have to say. I tried just about everything I could think of.. cleaning it, clean install incase it was some software problem, etc. It's definitely a problem with the CPU itself or its cooling system.

I switched my upgraded HD and ram out for the stock parts and cleaned it again while I was doing that.. just ran some quick tests and it still goes up to 100C really quick (like within 5 secs of running yes > /dev/null in terminal). It's definitely screwed.

Hopefully apple doesnt take too long to fix it.. I can't deal without having a computer.

7. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

Took it in to the genius bar.. the guy tried to tell me that it was normal (it's obviously not) and that the CPU could go up to 125C (intel's spec sheet says the max is 100C). But they took it in and are gonna run diagnostics overnight. Hopefully they will acknowledge that there is a problem after that..

8. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Back up your info and let er cook then. Bring it back to the store with mac cooked pro

9. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

that is the stupidest thing i have ever heard...... if they expect their mbps to be running at 257F then they should use it on their laps and say its ok nothings wrong

10. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

They say its fine b/c they like to use it to keep their starbucks coffee warm while at work.

11. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

The guy called and said there's nothing wrong and they "can't reproduce the problem". Called them back and the guy said they don't recognize "third party apps that read temperatures" even though they read the temps right from the sensor built in to apple's ****ing logic board. He also said they don't have normal operating specs for the laptop published.

12. zioxide thread starter macrumors 603

zioxide

Went to pick it up.. I made the temps go up to 98C but they still say its "within spec" and they aren't gonna do anything.

Oh well, I'm just gonna cook the thing until the logic board dies and then they'll have to replace it.

13. Pivzavod macrumors member

Call customer relations - talk to the representative carefully explaining the problem and ask for advice, it should solve your problem.

14. Tweak3D macrumors regular

mine did the same thing until half the keyboard and most of the inside melted in on itself. I called apple care they fixed it sent it back and then the battery wouldn't work. Now I have a brand new UMBP 2.66 =). call applecare, much easier than the store.

15. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I ran both cores at 100% and the highest the temp on my proc ever got was 84 celcius.

16. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

lol fry eggs on it too?

17. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

It's almost like his heat sink is hardly doing anything or something...especially if it's shooting up that fast.