MBP Running Bootcamp in Apple Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darklich, Feb 26, 2010.

1. darklich macrumors member

Do the Apple Stores have any MBPs running Windows in Bootcamp? It would be nice to be able to test stuff out on it.

2. rick98761 macrumors 6502

what do you want to test? It works exactly like a regular windows laptop. BTW, no they do not.

3. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

I haven't seen bootcamp running at any apple stores. I have seen Fusion and VM ware running there though. Bootcamp is essentially exactly the same as using windows on a regular computer. The only difference is everyone says that the trackpad scrolling is buggy. The thing is they are comparing trackpad scrolling on a mac to on a windows. If you try any multi touch windows laptops they works about as well as the mac running windows does. It's a terrible experience that those poor windows users have to deal with.

4. darklich thread starter macrumors member

I want to see for myself how well native .mts files (ACVHD) playback in Windows Media Player on a MBP with the 9400 only.

5. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I am not sure what type of HD file .mts is? But it can play HD video content fine.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Wouldn't either VLC or Media Player Classic (under OS X) playback those file types? You may have to add a codec to them, but they should work.

7. darklich thread starter macrumors member

I have a Windows 7 desktop and I edit native AVCHD video using Vegas Pro 9. I like it. I'm going to get a 13 inch MBP, which means I'll probably be using an external hard drive, formatted in NTFS so that I can transfer files back to desktop. I'm trying to find out if the 9400 is powerful enough to playback the AVCHD files natively using Windows Media Player in bootcamp.

For portability reasons I don't want to have to buy the 15 with the 9400/9600 combo.

I seem to be the only person with a AVCHD video camera. It's a Canon HFS100 and it's awesome, but I don't want get 13 MBP if the 9400 can't playback these files.

If anyone with a 2.53/13/MBP with Win 7 can test this out for me I'd really appreciate it.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Is the video codec a variant of mp4?

Nevermind from wikipedia
    AVCHD utilizes MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (AVC) video compression codec and either Dolby AC-3 (Dolby Digital) or linear PCM audio compression codec.

The video card really does not matter for video rendering unless the video card has assisted hardware decoding built in the video card. Then it should lower the processing requirements on the CPU.
    In your situation, the CPU speed of the base MacBook Pro should be enough to render the video, but also the nvidia video card should support mp4 decoding as well.
    I could only find this:
    So I am not sure if it supports .mp4.

Nevermind it does

H.264, WMV/VC-1, and MPEG-4 Hardware Acceleration
    NVIDIA PureVideo provides ultra-smooth playback of H.264, WMV/VC-1 and MPEG-4 HD and SD videos with minimal CPU usage.

* Ultra-smooth Video:
    o Dedicated video processing core provides astonishingly fluid standard and high-definition video on your PC without stutter or skips.
    o Programmable video processor accelerates H.264, WMV/VC-1, and MPEG-4 high-definition movies.
    o Discrete video processing core offloads the CPU and 3D engine of complex video tasks, freeing the PC to run multiple applications simultaneously, while consuming less power.

9. Freyqq macrumors 601

With bootcamp, I've noticed that the drivers are kinda buggy compared to a real pc. Doesn't really seem to affect fps in games or anything like that..just random crashes that shouldn't happen, low battery life, and slow boot times. This is with vista-32bit on a 2.2ghz SR mbp with 8600gt 128 vram, 4gig ram

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Only poorly written driver I have seen with bootcamp drivers 3.1 is the trackpad two finger scrolling(way too fast) and tap and drag (too sensitive). I suppose tap to click could be better too, which basically means the trackpad driver sucks. I am pretty sure all the other drivers are made by the manufacturer of the specific hardware.

And I agree that power management could be better (again normally something the laptop manufacturer does).

Just a guess here, but I think Apple allowed the morons that they normally have writing windows drivers to come up with an idea for a product, and these morons called it "iPad".

11. Freyqq macrumors 601

yeah..in sum i'd say bootcamp is ok to boot into every once in a while to run a windows-specific program or whatnot..or to play games (OSX gaming sucks..slow fps in comparison to directx on pcs), but I would stick with OSX most of the time...especially if you plan on using it on battery a lot. If you are planning on being in windows most of the time, I would look into buying a pc.

12. mark28 macrumors 68000

It's not the same.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

sorry to kind of state the obvious but if you're planning on using windows to do your work why not just buy a windows laptop? It will save you some money

14. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

^ It only saves money if you're planning on using windows for all things. If you're doing work in windows due to availability of a specific application but want a mac for everything else it's cheaper to get a mac and run bootcamp than it is to get a mac and a pc.
    Specifics?

15. darklich thread starter macrumors member

Because viewing/editing video isn't the only thing I plan to do on it. I just don't want to get a 9400 model if it can't smoothly playback AVCHD in Win 7.

Does anyone here have a AVCHD video camera that can test native playback in Windows on a MBP with a 9400?

16. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Playback will NOT be an issue as I explained in my earlier post which you apparently ignored. Just to give you an idea but vc-1 wmv HD 1080p files use about 10-20% CPU with 2.26 GHz MacBook pro. Seriously go back and read my posts before asking again.

17. darklich thread starter macrumors member

Your explanation, while very helpful, was a theoretical one. I only asked again to see if someone could provide a practical verification.

18. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Actually if you cared to do a search with google you could have found benchmarks as to whether the hardware assisted decoding in the nvidia 9400m can perform smooth playback of 1080p mpeg4 video.

A couple benchmarks of the 8000 series cards:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ATI's alternative: similar functions
    Another comment from nvidia: