MBP: Running Closed Disconnecting from Display, etc.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac In School, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I have a 15" Revision D High-End MBP, that I have a few questions about...

1. I run this through an external display. I have no desire for an extended desktop or mirroring, so I run it with the case closed. That's the only way I've been able to figure out how to run just the external monitor. Is there another way I'm missing?

2. Is running it with the case closed bad? Sure seems to get warm. I'm wondering if heat is supposed to be released through the keyboard.

3. What are the proper steps to take when I want to disconnect the MBP from my external display, FW drives, USB connections, etc? Is shut down and unplug the preferred option?

Thanks.

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

1. As for just the external monitor, yes either mirror or close the lid should work just fine. Never done it that way, but it makes sense.

2. It will get warm, as long as it doesn't get too hot. But you can certainly run with the lid closed. The venting is through the back and the bottom. The bottom will tend to get the warmest. You'd even be fine standing it on its side if you had a way to hold it like that.

3. For disconnecting you can eject your FW/USB drives from the desktop and then unplug with the lid still closed. Then either use the menu to sleep it and unplug your display and keyboard and off you go OR you can shut down and then unplug.

Remember, your MBP won't hate you if you open the lid every now and again. ;)