MBP: Running Fusion (or other) with CS3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thehopscotch, Dec 18, 2009.

1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I am looking to buy a new Macbook Pro (likely waiting until the upcoming refresh). I do a lot of photo editing in Photoshop CS3 but have the Windows version of CS3.

Does anyone know if running CS3 in Windows (via bootcamp, parallels, or fusion) on the MBP greatly degrade my performance in Photoshop?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

bootcamp will be the fastest, but you would have to reboot everytime you wanted to use it.

What kind of files are you working on? Huge ones? (by huge I mean several hundred megs +) or just a bunch of small stuff?

with the money you spend on Fusion/Paralles + copy of XP = the cost to just crossgrade from the PC to Mac version of Photoshop. $199 direct from Adobe...

3. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I don't think I am able to crossgrade my version, so my only real option is running parallels, bootcamp, etc.

Is it thought CS3 would run well in bootcamp?

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Bootcamp = a PC with whatever OS you put on it.

Call Adobe, you can crossgrade to CS4.

And again, depending on what you are doing in Pshop, you may never notice a difference

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

It really depends on how you use CS3. For a hobbyist like myself I could probably get by using CS3 and Fusion on my 3 year old MBP. For a pro user it might be too slow and would opt to run it in bootcamp.

Keep in mind that you can run your bootcamp partition in Fusion as well. So if you just want to do some light usage then you don't have to reboot.

Bootcamp is just Apple's fancy name of saying dual boot into Windows. It will run at full native speed.

6. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

thehopscotch