Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
OK, so my MBP 5,1 has been a rock solid machine save for a flaky optical drive, but it had been getting extremely hot, especially while gaming. I mean >90 C hot. So today I opened it up to be greeted by a colossal amount of dust and fuzz.

Took it outside and thoroughly blew it out; then removed some enormous dust bunnies from each fan housing with a toothpick.

Now it's much cooler; I can game all day and never peak above 80 C even on the 9600m GT graphics. So, if you've had your MBP a while and it's running hot, blowing the dust out might do the trick! :)

Ampidire

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2007
WA
it'd be a lot better to actually suck the dust out with a vacuum cleaner than it would be to blow it through the machine, given the lack of vents, blowing into it will just get it slammed into tinier crevices that you won't be able to see or access w/o taking the machine apart, next time suck it out.

i know you said you opened yours up by taking the bottom off, but if someone isn't savvy enough to do something like that or doesn't want to, sucking it out is the best way.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
it'd be a lot better to actually suck the dust out with a vacuum cleaner than it would be to blow it through the machine

I was watching a tech show recently and they said much the same. And if you're vacuuming, you could just place it next to the MBP's hinge, and it would likely do some modest cleaning out without having to unscrew the bottom.

mac2x

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
it'd be a lot better to actually suck the dust out with a vacuum cleaner than it would be to blow it through the machine, given the lack of vents, blowing into it will just get it slammed into tinier crevices that you won't be able to see or access w/o taking the machine apart, next time suck it out.

i know you said you opened yours up by taking the bottom off, but if someone isn't savvy enough to do something like that or doesn't want to, sucking it out is the best way.

Oh, I agree. If you aren't confident enough to open it, vacuuming is better. Unfortunately, I don't have access to my good vacuum ATM so, I had to blow it out. (crappy shop-vac hardly does anything) Most of the dust came out of the fan louvers and through the keyboard.

Next time, I will hopefully have a better vac (Dyson FTW!) handy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.