MBP running hotter after SSD installed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mug3n, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mug3n macrumors newbie

So today I finally got around to installing my new intel x25 ssd... the performance boost was definitely obvious with the startup and loading times, but I noticed that my CPU temperatures are much higher on idle and when the computer is working... for example I'd see temperatures shoot up to 75C when os x is rebuilding the spotlight index, and right now just running chrome my temperatures are floating around high 50C-low 60C when before on the stock apple HDD it would do maybe 40-50.

Is this normal? Just curious. Thanks.

2. DarkFlame macrumors regular

try running firefox, that brought my temps down. and def helps with battery life. I love chrome but made the sacrifice to enjoy lower temperatures.

3. Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

Yep. I don't even have an SSD, and Chrome was making my computer hot. This has been explained elsewhere as an issue with Chrome enlisting the discrete GPU at all times, instead of letting the integrated Intel GPU handle normal web tasks.
    Hopefully future software better takes advantage of automatic GPU switching.

4. mug3n thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the heads up... totally didn't know about the chrome issue with os x, everything went fine when I ran it before. will switch to FF4 from now on