MBP running really warm in Windows7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SlickShoes, Mar 4, 2011.

1. SlickShoes macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I got my new MBP today top end 15" one.

I am currently installing a game in windows. All that is happening is I am posting on here whilst steam downloads something. The bottom of the laptop is ROASTING! on the left hand side, so right on my thigh as i am sitting down. The heat is comparable as to when i used to be playing WoW on my old 13" unibody macbook.

Is it normal for it to be this warm when im not even doing anything intensive?

2. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

why are you running WoW in windows? It works on OS X too doesn't it?

The high end MBP 15" has a pretty powerful GPU inside so it's not really surprising that it would get pretty hot while playing games.

3. MastaK macrumors member

My 15" 2011 does get hot running Win 7 64 bit under bootcamp while playing videos (haven't played any games yet), so I assume it's normal.

4. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not running WoW in windows, the heat is comparable to when i play WoW in OSX.

All i am doing is downloading a game and listening to music on spotify whilst posting here!

5. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Well, I couldn't even play games in my 2009 15"mbp (9600m GT). Played really well for a bit then shut down (probably because of overheating). At the end I was struggling to get 15-20 fps on parallels with lowest settings :p (LoL, not WoW)

Quick question: Does the new macbook pro use the intel HD3000 at all in boot camp or is it like the old one which only used the discrete gpu? That kinda sucked...

6. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers thats the same as I am running so it sounds about right! I think on my old mac windows always ran hotter than OSX.

I am about to try a game so will post back if it gets any hotter.

7. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

From the heat im guessing it just uses the discrete GPU and not the intel chip at all.

8. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

Windows does run warmer than OS X, at least on my 2010 13 inch MBP.
    BUT, you say you just got it today. Doesn't windows do some sort of indexing thing when it's new, to make searches faster? If that's going on too, it could be causing extra heat.
    And I'm assuming you haven't got it sat on a bed or blanket, tiger skin rug, etc

9. SlickShoes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its just on my lap, no tiger skin rugs in this house haha.

I'm back in OSX now and can feel it cooling down already so yeah, it can just be another thing on my list of reasons why i like OSX better!

Astounded by the sound quality on this compared to my old 2009 13" unibody macbook worlds apart!

10. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Excessive heat is normal running Win7 on any Mac notebook ... long as your MBP's fan are running fast then it's running as it should.

11. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

Download and set up Lubbo's Fan control for more control over when the fans come on.

12. Lloydehhh macrumors member

What can you expect from something Microsoft made?!

13. MastaK macrumors member

:rolleyes: Windows 7 is still excellent OS...

14. Primetime89 macrumors member

I read somewhere that it Win7 on the 2011 MBPs also have this problem which is probably causing the heat issues.

15. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

lol...really...
    Windows 7 doesn't overheat on laptops that were made to run it. It's because Apple's "amazing" computers can't handle running it.

16. ozred macrumors 6502

17. boonlar macrumors 6502

/sigh lots of misinformed fanboys bashing windows

its apples fault it runs hot because they didnt write graphics switching drivers for windows just like previous generations.

you are running the discrete gpu 100% of the time in windows. on the mbp 13" this shouldnt be a problem but nobody will post any damn battery tests on windows for it.

basically apple gimped windows on the macbooks on purpose to make windows look bad.

I bet windows would get better battery life than osx if it had access to the hardware like osx does.

18. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

In addition to what boonlar mentioned, Windows is also less efficient than OSX and I'm guessing the bootcamp drivers don't manage power as aggressively as OSX. More power usage = more heat output.

19. punchwalk macrumors regular

This is normal (as long as it's not running too hot). I think there are two things at play here:

1. Apple has not developed/included any graphics switching drivers for running Windows on Bootcamp. Therefore, the discrete GPU is always running.

2. Macs are engineered to run OS X optimally, not Windows.

I use LubbosFanControl when running Windows 7 using Bootcamp. I actually find that I need to set the fans to a minimum of 4000rpm if I want to keep the temperatures controlled.