MBP running slow but only with this app running

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by creativedogmedia, Apr 30, 2015.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Outlook for Mac (the latest version) pulls my MBP to a crawl. It's a mid-2014 w/16gb RAM and 2GB graphics card...plenty of HD space and have three external monitors connected to it via two display ports and one HDMI. It slows down so badly that my typing this post out took twice as long because each letter would appear one by one as I typed. Switching tabs on Chrome browser takes between 1 and 2 seconds.

I have verified and repaired disk...no improvement...all updates are in place and I dont know what else to do...I realize Outlook is a hog but it can't be slowing down every users MBP to this extent. Also, when it's open the fans are running at full steam - every single time. What do you suggest I do?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Don't use Chrome. It's a massive resource hog.

At this stage, with the amount of people complaining why their Macs run slow or hot and not realizing that it's because they run Chrome, Apple should just use Gatekeeper to try to discourage and/or prevent the installation of Chrome on it.

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

It's not Chrome. I can shut it down, restart and use Safari with no issue. Open up Outlook and down she goes.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Not use Outlook?

5. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I wish. Calendar/mail integration is key as I am on exchange through my company.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

When I was in Uni they used an Exchange server and it worked perfectly fine with Apple Mail and the Calendar app built in to OS X. Is there any tool that is actually specific to Outlook that you must use?

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Me too, Apple Calendar integrates with Exchange as does Airmail.

That said Outlook doesnt kill my machine when I used to run it, assuming it didnt always, what changed when it started? If this has occurred since Outlook install and that was recent then is it still syncing with the server?