mbp runs hot all the time - and shuts down using external display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zebbz, Jan 23, 2012.

1. zebbz macrumors member

hi
    ive had this problem almost since i first got this macbook

it always runs absolutely hot
    according to smcfancontrol
    the average is always about 75-80C
    and the fans are always at 6200rpm (therefore always loud)

from reading online i accepted this must be a design flaw or something as it seems to happen to everyone

recently i've started connecting it to my TV to use as an external display via HDMI to watch movies and the like

without fail, after about 20 minutes (not even long enough to watch one tv program)
    it always shuts it self down, as its gotten too hot

this does sometimes happen when just using the laptop normally but nowhere near as much

the laptop sits on a desk with space around it so the heat can 'escape'

is this actually normal?

its unusable!?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues: